Windows/Doors help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

i'm having some extension work done, and i'm in need of some good quality doors (sliding patio style) and windows and also some velux style roof windows (non-opening)

I want uPVC/composite because it needs to stay in keeping with the rest of the house

Just wondered if i might be able to get any recommendations from you guys, and maybe some good links that would help me make a selection from the millions of them out there !

Most places i'm finding are submit details for brochures to be sent, instead of downloadable pdf type files.... i really want to be able to have a look through the various styles and such like without having to request a huge amount of junk mail to be sent through !

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
ok, so i've been looking around, and whilst i was initially looking at Pilkington K glass, it seems that something from Saint-Gobain may fit my preferences better.

Now as i understand it, Saint-Gobain are simply the glass manufacturers, so i need to find a supplier that uses that type of glass in frames of my choice.

Anyone got any good recommendations for someone in the cheltenham/oxford area?

And also there seems many different models of glass that they make, but you can mix and match sa it were, so could use bioclean on the outside, with planitherm on the inside, is this easy to specify or what ?

You could try doubleglazingontheweb.co.uk, they cover your area and you can get an online quote.

They don't do the glass you specified, they work with pilkington... but you could try!

ok thanks, will have a look.

I've done some phoning around and found 1 place real close that builds the double glazing units, and they use saint gobain glass, and another place that can supply the glazing units and manufactures their own frames.

Plus a couple of local (recommended) fitters, one uses rehau frames and patiomaster for doors, the other uses john freddricks profiled frames.

Biggest problem i have right now is i'd like to actually see the frames/handles etc etc, but that is just not that easy :(

Also need to bear in mind future replacements of the existing windows, and need to make sure i go with someone that will be able to supply matching stuff for the other windows when the time comes, and not someone that changes profile desgn every 5 minutes !

Sponsored Links
They also use duraflex profile and i wouldn't touch it with YOUR barge pole, cheap lower end of the profile market, REHAU if you can afford it is the way to go

They also use duraflex profile and i wouldn't touch it with YOUR barge pole, cheap lower end of the profile market, REHAU if you can afford it is the way to go

who does ... the doubleglazingonline place ? .....

so the REHAU ones are worth looking at huh.

thnanks again guys

who does ... the doubleglazingonline place ? .....

so the REHAU ones are worth looking at huh.

thnanks again guys

Yes, doubleglazingonline use duraflex.

Rehau is German and one of the best profiles on the market, ask anyone who works in the DG trade if they've heard of Rehau and see what they say ;)

Funny you should say that, the guy that did our front door we had round the other day to help us with the window stuff for this, and he says he gets this stuff because it's good .... so you have just backed that up as well :)

ok, so that's a good number of things sorted :)

Glass - Saint Gobain, BioClean on the outer pane, Planitherm on the inner
Frames/Profile - Rehau

looking at PatioMaster for the doors, although need to be sure aboutt he glass used etc,

Roof Windows, still dont know about, obviously the glass i want the same, maybe a bronze tint, but for frame and fitting stuff i have no idea !

Thanks for the help guys, appreciated, feel free to keep throwing things out there :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back