windows dropped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
two of the windows in my house are making a noise when the wind blows in a certain direction - I've been told its due to the window 'dropping' - is this easy to fix and if so can anyone explain how?

Sponsored Links
What are the windows made of ie wood, upvc, aluminium etc and what do you mean by noise?

Steve

What are the windows made of ie wood, upvc, aluminium etc and what do you mean by noise?

Steve

i am assuming he means upvc and they need toe and healing :)
but good call to check materials

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem on very windy nights in our bedroom. Damn annoying.

Never heard or thought it may be due to the sealed units dropping.

If it is, then I will hop to it and sort mine.

To the OP, it can be a bit of a pig to access the actual double glazed sealed unit. On newer windows the seal is internal, on older ones they are often external.

Once you have worked this out you need to carefully remove the beads. This requires both care and some force. It is easy to damage the edges of the uPVC frame or bead. I would use a sturdy scraper and a hammer to ease the bead out a little then use chisels and hammer to remove fully.

Once removed it sounds like the window needs centre-ing in the frame so all gaps are equal. If some rubber seal is missing though this may be where the wind is getting in/making noise. It may be an idea to use a little bit of silicone to potentially seal it, though others may advise better.

When replacing the seals/beading fit the shorter ones first and then fit the longer ones by placing the ends in place and knocking the middle in to place after.

As I say it can be tricky tho!

Good luck.

Hi

"bag pipes playing" or "Wasps/bees" noises can be caused by vibrating sealant that has come away from the trims.... a good way of testing this (if you have a good sound room) is to get some one to stand by the window then go top the door of the room and open it quickly, this will pull the air in from the outside and replicate the noise. You can then hear exactly where it is coming in... the sash or the trims?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back