Windows Live Sign-in assistant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a huge problem, but I have my Windows Live set to start automatically with Windows and to sign in automatically.

Problem is, it's not done it for ages - might well be since SP3 was applied but can't swear to that.

Anybody got any ideas? As I said, it's not a life threatening problem - just more of an annoyance.

Sponsored Links
Is it running at startup but not logging on, or not even running at startup?

I take it you have XP SP3 so go to Start -> Run and type services.msc
Scroll down the list to Windows Live and double click it.

Check if it is started and the settings are set to Automatic.

If it is running at startup then the failure to sign on could be due to your browser clearing cookies when it shuts down. What browser do you use normally?

Have a look in Tools -> Options -> Privacy to see if you can see what is listed to clear and when.

dave

It's starting up at startup - just not automatically logging in.

Went to services.msc and I couldn't find anything relating to Windows Live in there at all. The only thing I could find was under Messenger and it's disabled - this is the message attached to it:

Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

I use Firefox v3.5.7 though I do have IE6 loafing about for those moments in time that I might need it.

On Firefox, cookies are kept until they expire.

I can't find anything about cookies for IE but any sites that I use are logging in fine with no problems with cookies - it's just Windows Live that doesn't play the game! I assumed that it was a problem with the Sign in Assistant - but I'm more than likely wrong.

Sponsored Links
I've uninstalled and re-installed four times!!!! And done a complete hard drive reformat and reinstall (not because of the Live problem - just cos I'm completely anal and do that maybe once a year or so)

I've got Yahoo toolbar on both FF and IE - pleeeeeeeeeease don't tell me it's my Yahoo toolbar - I couldn't live without it!

I've got Yahoo toolbar on both FF and IE - pleeeeeeeeeease don't tell me it's my Yahoo toolbar - I couldn't live without it!

Looks like it could be:

http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!2883.entry

Recently there has been an upsurge of problems regarding Windows Live Messenger “forgetting” Windows Live IDs after a Windows restart. Although there are some known policies in Windows which can cause this to occur, after many hours of testing and research, the latest culprit appears to be the Yahoo Toolbar.

Uninstalling the toolbar will not address the problem as its installer causes damage to your Windows user profile’s registry.

There is a fix in the link, just follow the download and install instructions.

dave

Well slap my thigh and call me Arthur!!! It worked!!! You're a genius. Thank you very much. :D :D :D :D

You must've had the right words for searching cos I hunted high and low and couldn't find anything on the problem.

OK Arthur, the offer to slap your thighs will have to be a raincheck for the moment.

It's funny how you read something six months ago and it sticks in the old (well 64 years old) grey matter.
Pleased to hear that it was of use.

dave ;)

Sponsored Links
Back