Windows update seems to have caused multiple problems - HELP

H

holmslaw

Windows update seems to have caused multiple problems on my desktop running xp home edition. On Monday 13th April it automatically updated windows, since then everything is ok until the pc goes into standby, then:

Monitor will not come out of standby, I suspect because mouse doesn't work.
I have a netgear mp101 media player, it will not respond and has to be reinstalled, sometimes 2 or 3 times. It is also very difficult to reload the database without causing the MP101 to stop responding.
In IE the top of the screen changes from grey to black. This happens quite often after a windows update and seems to be caused by my preference for 'windows classic', and I know how to cure the problem.

I can individually rectify the problems and everything is ok, but its becoming a PITA, any ideas as to what is going on and possible solutions.
I have also done a 'system restore' but it made no difference.

Sponsored Links
Why not disable the power save feature which is turning your monitor off

Right click desktop - properties - screensaver tab - power

put everything on never

let us know if that works

Took your advice, also ran malwarebytes which reported all ok.

The next day (Sunday) desktop had changed to 'modified theme' and the mouse would'nt work, mp 101 was ok.

No problems Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday, mouse would'nt work and mp 100 had lost it's data base. :confused:

I have had similar issues with Windows driver updates for XP Pro. On this old Compaq Evo I HAVE to use the video driver that came with the system. Neither of the available drivers from Windows update will allow the system to recover properly from standby.

On an old Acer XP1301 laptop, I have finally given up on Windows. I suspect the lack of SSE processor support. It runs fine with Ubuntu Linux but Linux has never sorted out standby support.

Sponsored Links
Funnily I just posted about the same problem!

My daughter's PC is having similar problems when it goes into standby. I've tried disabling standby, setting everything to "Never" but it made no difference.

Anybody else struggling or know what was in that update?, Found a cure?

Thursday, still having problems;

Mouse not working.
Desktop has changed to 'windows classic modified' - thats a new one.
In IE top of page turned black - thats not happened since last saturday.
MP101 had lost its data base.

i wonder if pressing the windows key on the keyboard would "activate" the mouse ??

Turns out it was the mouse, eventually it completely failed, replaced it and everythings hunk dory.

Well almost :) it'll do me.

glad you got it sorted :D
if you still have issues with the mouse then try uninstalling the mouse then reinstall

Thanks, yes I downloaded new drivers and reinstalled etc.
Mouse just got more and more erratic until it completely failed. Also when I banged it on the desk it would behave, indicating to me a fault inside the mouse.

Sponsored Links
Back