Windows Rubber Seal Replacement - Outer Seal Only or Inner Also?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daft question I know, but I only have a a small amount of rubber seal left, obviously I should buy more, but wonder if all windows have 2 seals, and if so which is the most important to replace?

I expect the external seal is more important to replace, due to this would be where the weather gets in, but wonder what are peoples thought?

For additional info, I replaced both outer and inner seals on 1 of my windows, then realised the new inner seal doesn't even fully seal around the top of the frame, there's still a gap, and doesn't seem to be any way to decrease the gap, although I don't have much knowledge of windows and how they are adjusted to fit the frame.

Sponsored Links
Stop messing about and stop botching it, change the windows.

They all have two seals of some type , opening sashes , on the actual sash and on the frame . Fixed window ..external bead and internal , though internal could be a security tape if externally glazed. Older windows suffer quite badly from gasket shrinkage, ideally if both have shrunk or are damaged replace both ( making sure you cut it longer and really squeeze it in or it will shrink again!). It's very hard to get the exact gasket , as it's measured in 0.1mm at places and trying to get an accurate measurement on a piece of rubber that squishes and deforms is quite tricky!

As goes for new windows.....how bloody ridiculous...we don't need to have a throw away society. Providing the pvc itself is sound and undamaged then everything else on that window can be replaced . No need to replace the whole window unless it's a change of style or vanity reasons of it looking old and tired ( or lots of parts need replacing!).

Sponsored Links
Thanks @ronniecabers

The existing windows and frames are fine, some of the glass panes are misted though and I'll get around to replacing these at some point.

I initially started replacing the uPVC door rubbers, due to water was actually getting inside the house and this has now fixed the issue.

I then started replacing the rubbers on the smaller top opening uPVC windows, the old rubbers haven't shrank, but all are pretty hard and flat, so probably aren't sealing very well now. I've replaced half, using a 20m Stormguard rubber replacement tub, but I've only replaced the outer/exterior-type rubbers (not the inner rubbers yet), I need to get another tub or 2 to replace the rest, at £16-£18 a tub I thought it's worth doing.
The Stormguard rubbers are pretty much the same size as the old rubbers, so application is pretty easy.
The only window I replaced both inner and outer rubbers is the smallish hall window, this is a full opening window, I then saw the internal rubber wasn't fully sealing at the top of the frame, but the outer rubber is, so I aren't really concerned, just looks like the inner rubber isn't really going to help much.

I'll keep my eye on seeing if the new rubbers shrink.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back