Windows Vista start-up time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got a new (Packard Bell) PC and it has Vista Home Premium. When I turn on the PC, it takes between 3 and 4 minutes for Vista to become fully loaded. Is this normal ? If not what can I do to speed things up please ? Thanks Bazza

Sponsored Links
Make sure you've not got loads of things starting up when Vista starts. Look next to the clock and also in *Start, all programs, startup* to see what's running in the background.
Mine takes a little over a minute until it's fully started. I've turned off the windows sidebar thing too.

gcol is right. It's common now that manufacturers put their own software on to a machine which all loads in startup, the majority of it you don't need. I've never used Pakard Bell but Toshiba, Dell, HP are all guilty of this! The stupid thing is it makes them look bad because it slows the pc down.

Although as gcol mentioned some of it might be in start, all programs, startup there are other places it lurks... the registry!

If it's the registry you can go to Start - Run then type: msconfig and press return, go to the startup tab and take ticks out of what you don't want then apply & restart, though a word of warning, don't do this if you're unsure as it could cause problems! Also going through the installed programs is worth a try and removing anything you don't need.

Finally I've just checked and Packard Bell send out a 3 month trial of Norton... this is resource hungry so remove all traces of it and do a google search for AVG free and download & install that instead.

Agree with the Norton comment, and to boot :LOL: you may have a lower than recommened spec PC for Vista.

Can you post the specs - Processor & RAM

Sponsored Links
Doc, My Packard Bell spec is:-
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Regards Bazza

Is the system performing Ok once it has booted up?

I would recommend 2gb of RAM and at least 256mb graphics memory.

If it is running OK at the moment then it is not crucial, just something to think about for the future, really depends what you are doing on your PC.

If it's the registry you can go to Start - Run then type: msconfig and press return, go to the startup tab and take ticks out of what you don't want then apply & restart, though a word of warning, don't do this if you're unsure as it could cause problems!

This method is intended as a diagnostic tool only, the only proper solution is to remove the offending software after doing this - does your computer act odd or give any indication that it might have some spyware on it?

Regards Bazza

OKay that is a cracking machine. BUT you Need More RAM. Get 4Gb.

The future of computing IMHO is virtual-machines.

There i no way that your computer should take that amount of time.

My New system is going to be a high end machine running A fast-boot Linux and a virtual environment. Then you can boot into your network quickly, to answer email or web. Then you can boot up multiple OS's in virtual space. Eg with something like VMware. So, if I need to edit using Word I can use XP or vista in a virtual machine.

Cheers
Bob

Make sure you've not got loads of things starting up when Vista starts. Look next to the clock and also in *Start, all programs, startup* to see what's running in the background.
Mine takes a little over a minute until it's fully started. I've turned off the windows sidebar thing too.

You check what's running at start up from the CMD line and use in MSCONFG. However, for VISTA the correct place to manage start up programmes is via Defender

Regards Bazza

OKay that is a cracking machine. BUT you Need More RAM. Get 4Gb.

That's excessive unles you are doing very intensive processing. Also if the OP can't work out how to manage his start up programmes he's not going to work out how to get Vista to utilse 4GB.
2Gb RAM is plenty.

[
The future of computing IMHO is virtual-machines.

There i no way that your computer should take that amount of time.

My New system is going to be a high end machine running A fast-boot Linux and a virtual environment. Then you can boot into your network quickly, to answer email or web. Then you can boot up multiple OS's in virtual space. Eg with something like VMware. So, if I need to edit using Word I can use XP or vista in a virtual machine.
Oooh bully for you. What a waste of time.

If you can't wait a couple minutes to make a cup of tea while your PC starts, use a sleep mode or don't switch the PC off

Go and read the documentation for Vista, Defender and understand what MSCONFIG is for and I won't have to type out the evidence.
S'funny - that's exactly what someone who doesn't know what they're talking about would say.

In any windows operating system the correct places to manage startup programs are a combination of add/remove programs, the properties pages of the software that is starting up, the administrative console specifically (but not always) msconfig, the startup folder in the start menu, the manufacturers supplied removal tools (eg. for norton, mcafee etc.) found either in program files on on the internet, and system restore (last resort) - for spyware add a couple of third party removal tools and editing the registry itself (always an absolute last resort) - I can't stand people that use msconfig alone to manage what loads on startup, most malware has a method of bypassing this anyway (it just creates another entry when msconfig disables the first one) and properly supported third party apps come with a proper way of disabling the startup service, or if they don't should be removed or the manufacturer consulted as to how to disable it from starting on bootup.
Basically, you should deal with the start up programmes (sic) in the most appropriate manner, and in addition to this, if you put a shortcut to "iexplore.exe -noplugins" on somebodys desktop rather than removing spyware or using the addon manager in IE I will hunt you down and shoot you - fix the cause of the problem, don't just bypass it and wait for it to flare up again.....

Sponsored Links
Back