Windows Vista start-up time

OKay that is a cracking machine. BUT you Need More RAM. Get 4Gb.
Just for reference, Vista 32 bit won't allow you to fully use 4gb. I have 2 x 2 gig sticks of ram and vista only recognises 3.5 gig. If you want to use more ram you need to use 64 bit vista.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you've not got loads of things starting up when Vista starts. Look next to the clock and also in *Start, all programs, startup* to see what's running in the background.
Mine takes a little over a minute until it's fully started. I've turned off the windows sidebar thing too.

Have been watching this thread.
same problem but unclear, how to follow advise.
What is the sidebar thing , please, does that make a difference.
How do you determine what things to let run.

If you dont want something to run and you know what it is , do you just disable it.
I have Hp stuff running for my printer which I rarely use, if I disabled it, will it automatically connect or will i have to start it manually, when I want to use it.

Windows Vista sidebar, is an area at the side of the desktop that you can place various tools and displays http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/sidebargadgets.mspx
It will make a difference if you're short of memory. I've removed it because I didn't really use or need it.

"How do you determine what things to let run?"
You decide what you want to run at startup. Running programs at startup allows them to startup faster when you want to run them. Not all programs need to, or should run at startup. As ever with computers, if you're not sure, leave it alone.
There are a few ways to adjust what runs at startup. First off, go into the programs options/settings and see if there's an option to disable it running at startup. Failing that, have a look in START, ALL PROGRAMS, STARTUP and see if the program is listed there - if it is you can remove it.
If it's not there, you can go into START, RUN, type MSCONFIG then OK. Go into startup and see what's set to start with windows - uncheck what you don't need at startup. (Quicktime is one I always disable.)

If you have something that is persistantly running and you just want to delete it but can't; download a program called hijackthis http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
You need to be careful using this software though - only remove stuff you are sure about. This has got me out of countless problems with windows XP, not used it much with Vista though.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Back