Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2002 building regs re windows
My neighbour has just bought a house built during above date and it never had a completion certificate, a building inspector has just visited and given a list of jobs required to issue the cert. as would be required at that date
One of the queries relates to the windows which according to the inspector doesn’t comply with the regs because the glazing wasn’t kitemarked
I checked mine (built at the same time) and my glazing is only marked on the glass where the height of the glazing is less than 1500mm from floor level
Should all double glazed units be stamped or only those units less than the 1500mm as above?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
only safety glass is kite marked. If neighbour has bought it without a cert, why need one now?

Good question mrrusty I personally would not have contacted them but his concern is when selling sometime in the future.
For me, looking at the house after 20 yrs and seeing that the structure has no defects (building control and a warranty company have records showing that the foundations were laid correctly) I would have concentrated on the internals that all need work as they were not installed correctly (DIY)
but involving the building control inspector, who is looking at the 2002 building regs of the day, and has the personality to suit is now involved and here we are.
Re; windows, he told the neighbour that they need changing as they don't comply but didn't explain why other than they are not kitemarked so I will check the height from the floor and see if any are within the 1500mm requirement for safety glass
The house was bought at auction
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Glazing regs only apply to critical locations; generally within 1500mm of the floor in a door or side panel or within 800mm of the floor in other areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back