Windpost for an interior party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on knocking a wall down between our kitchen and dining room. Got a SE in and he has confirmed that it is not a load bearing wall. However, he has indicated we need a wind post on one side to deal with lateral forces e.g. wind. I pointed out that this wall is the party wall with our neighbour (semi detached house and the wall in question is where we are attached). He said that this is required in case the neighbours house was ever taken down. Very unlikely but he tells me this is what the regulations say. Sounds a bit mad but equally wouldn’t be surprised by anything in regulations! Does anybody know if this is correct as I can’t find anything regarding this particular situation?

Sponsored Links
He's been on the N2O.

Tell him at his next tea party that you'll put a post in when the neighbours knock their house down, not before. :rolleyes:

That's nonsense; the Regulations say nothing of the sort.

See the attached copy of the actual regulation for loading, taken from the Building Regulations. In particular, look at para. A1 (2) which states:

"....regard shall be had to the imposed and wind loads to which [the building] is likely to be subjected in the ordinary course of it's use...."

Then ask yourself how likely it is that the neighbours will wake up one morning and decide to demolish their house?

As the wall is not supporting any gravity load (and therefore doesn't need any structural calculations on that score) he's trying to make alternative work by giving a spurious reason why calcs are still necessary. That way at least he hopes to get some £££ for his time at your house.

Attachments

• Document_2021-09-14_215825.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 84

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back