Windscale disaster

The hotel we stayed in (terskol I think the place was) was very friendly. We arrived to find our beds bright pink with leopard skin throws! Once unpacked we met at the bar where the guy told us he had 13 girls and one guy. Lucky guy my mate said :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Friendly people indeed - apart from the soldiers as you said. It's the only place I can think of recently when I genuinely thought I was going to be taken away by the immigration officers at the airport and interrogated in a dark dingy room.

And the public toilets were of a standard you find in the worst parts of India or Africa.

Funny old place to be on borders of the EU. I guess it has to change somewhere.

At Kiev International weirdport we were confused on both entry and exit......more Soviet throwbacks I guess. Immigration bloke put us in the wrong queue for amusement I think, we had to queue again in the right queue for another 30 mins. On the way out they used the new body scanner but didn't check my hand luggage at all and I was accosted at Schipol for having two bottles of potential plane destroying water...it was a dull telling off from dutch blokey.

Half way up to Chernobyl City I asked the driver to stop as I needed a **** and wished I had just crapped on the flea infested back seat of his Charade. He stopped at the Soviet equivalent of a yank 50's roadhouse/cafe. The toilet block out the back was a literal brick ****house with a concrete floor that had a hole battered in the middle....Gorbachov turds were probably still festering there...I decided to crap in the woods instead. :)

The chernobyl sarcophagus had 1500sq/m of open holeing to the outside atmosphere.
Thats how it was built. Typical russian bodging.
Though sealed better now the whole thing is crumbling.

They need a housing entombment that will last longer than the pyramids of egypt.

The chernobyl sarcophagus had 1500sq/m of open holeing to the outside atmosphere.

They need a housing entombment that will last longer than the pyramids of egypt.

The area was closed recently while they put a new sarcophagus on it, not sure if that has been completed or not. Probably not.

The old one looked rough when I saw it.

Sponsored Links

Well you're hardly likely to hang around sprucing the job up with half a zillion roentgens cooking your bone marrow are you?

Filling 1500sq/m of holing is hardly deemed as sprucing up though imo.
Painting the soffit might be. :mrgreen:

There was a lava flow inside the reactor when the sand melted and mixed with radioactive waste.

It formed what the scientists later nicknamed the " elephants foot" deep below the reactor chamber in the rooms below.
It was a few thousand roentgens afaik. Just walk up too it for a few seconds mean't certain death within hours.

Can't be that bad, they built an office block next door to the sarcophagus. :mrgreen:

Back