Windscale disaster

Apparently the filters fitted to the stacks on the reactor were an afterthought by the engineer, probably saved a lot of lives

The filters would stop any heavy material but processing to remove alpha takes a huge amount of time and processing. It doesn't get stopped with a bit gauze! I imagine the engineers were able to reduce somewhat but to eradicate it takes a lot of time.

Sponsored Links
I was so moved after Chernobyl hearing about the workers in Fukashima going to deal with the reactors there that I wrote a song about it. :confused:

You are aware the dose meter can be set to just about any scale.

If you were in there did they give you a film badge or any idea of dosage!

Yeh they explained it and let us do all the dosemeter handling for fun. Neither of us were bothered about it really, the risks are small if you are not a tool and chewing your fingers all day.

You get a comedy check on the way out of the 30k zone, not done anywhere near properly in the usual soviet/ukrainian way. :)

Unbelievable you did that for a holiday if wasn't for the pics. I went to the southern states of Russia to climb Elbrus (highest in Europe) it was a real eye opener the place. The poverty in the place was horendous and pretty much lawless. Some villages just had a bloke with a gun to police things. They all pretty much hated westerner s to boot. If there was folks prepared to pay to go in there I imagine they would Have a limitless supply of locals prepared to go in no matter what the levels.

I was so moved after Chernobyl hearing about the workers in Fukashima going to deal with the reactors there that I wrote a song about it. :confused:

Fukushima has a colossal problem and a time bomb regarding the health of the population. They are creating vast quantities of radioactive water being stored in quick fit together tanks. Hundreds of them! Processing water is a long term process and relatively new. Without a doubt it will take in excess of a century to process the place but the contam is impossible to contain.

The problem worldwide is now were beginning to see large scale leakage of storage facilities due to them now being so old from the first generation. The costs are astronomical to resolve and are being dealt with but only within what a budget can allow.

Sponsored Links
Occasionally, I know someone who has had it. There has also been high profile cases in Cumbria such as Gemma D'Arcy.

The Windscale outfall also cut a swathe across Northumbria - direct in the path of the prevailing westerly winds......I recall 4 kids dying from leukemia on my school bus route alone.
John :confused:

If I recall right, the incidence of child leukemia is no higher than anywhere else in the country. Neither is it in the area around Chernobyl.

If I recall right, the incidence of child leukemia is no higher than anywhere else in the country. Neither is it in the area around Chernobyl.

That makes sense seeing as the area is a no go area except for the ocassional western tourist wanting to get near and pay for the opportunity. :D

The prevailing wind doesn't know where to stop blowing does it? :rolleyes:

Not anti nuclear joe just someone who has recently been enlightened to the truth. I am all for nuclear but like myself we were brought up thinking its all clean and taken care of. That's pretty far from the truth but were dealing with it here not resolving the problem as its too far down the road to reach that stage.

Like I said before the ageing plants are beginning to show cracks quite literally.

I saw a film on the Chernobyl meltdown which told of a group of workers who went into the water below the reactor to close some valves by hand. The program said this needed to be done to prevent the whole thing going into the atmosphere and spreading massive doses of radiation far and wide.

These lad knew it was a certain unpleasant death for them in a few days, but needed to be done to prevent a complete nightmare disaster.

The word 'hero' is used quite a lot nowadays. Mo Farrell was called a hero and we all know his name, Jessica Ennis the same. All they did was run around a track.

But these lads aren't known at all. If the story is true we should have statues of them in Trafalgar Square and every other great square in every major city in Europe.

I saw that too - they had their pictures on the wall.

Unbelievable you did that for a holiday if wasn't for the pics. I went to the southern states of Russia to climb Elbrus (highest in Europe) it was a real eye opener the place. The poverty in the place was horendous and pretty much lawless. Some villages just had a bloke with a gun to police things. They all pretty much hated westerner s to boot. If there was folks prepared to pay to go in there I imagine they would Have a limitless supply of locals prepared to go in no matter what the levels.

Yeh Chernobyl City and the surrounding area is a ****hole but then it might not be if it wasn't for the disaster. Ukraine is a 2nd world country anyway.

I've no doubt the 2000 people working at Chernobyl consider it a good living. The guides do 2 weeks on and 2 off and so have 2 or 3 jobs and make a very good living out of it. Everyone we met was friendly apart from the grumpy soldiers.

I saw a film on the Chernobyl meltdown which told of a group of workers who went into the water below the reactor to close some valves by hand. The program said this needed to be done to prevent the whole thing going into the atmosphere and spreading massive doses of radiation far and wide.

These lad knew it was a certain unpleasant death for them in a few days, but needed to be done to prevent a complete nightmare disaster.

The word 'hero' is used quite a lot nowadays. Mo Farrell was called a hero and we all know his name, Jessica Ennis the same. All they did was run around a track.

But these lads aren't known at all. If the story is true we should have statues of them in Trafalgar Square and every other great square in every major city in Europe.

Loads of people should be hailed heroes for that effort.

Probably the worst affected were the Chopper pilots drafted in from Afghanistan to fly directly over the open reactor and drop stuff in, almost none of them made it. The soldiers who went on the roof of the reactor to pick up "hot" bits of reactor and throw them over the side to be buried. And probably the most unfortunate of them all the poor miners that had to dig under the reactor and fill the hole with concrete before it dropped into the water table and took out most of northern europe.

Pretty sure we were told leukemia rates are high in Belarus which got the worst of it due to the wind direction.

Ukraine is a 2nd world country anyway.

Everyone we met was friendly apart from the grumpy soldiers.

It's a funny place is Ukraine. Still very Soviet in a lot of ways.

The mrs and I went there a couple of years ago to see Lvov as it was being billed as the Prague of the East. It came a long way short.

Only other westerners we saw were the middle aged men out there trying to find a bride.

Friendly people indeed - apart from the soldiers as you said. It's the only place I can think of recently when I genuinely thought I was going to be taken away by the immigration officers at the airport and interrogated in a dark dingy room.

And the public toilets were of a standard you find in the worst parts of India or Africa.

Funny old place to be on borders of the EU. I guess it has to change somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Back