WinME explorer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During startup I get an error message telling me that there was a problem starting explorer.exe and that I should re-install windows. Has windows gone corrupt or is there something else going on? I tried to reinstall ME but the installer gets halfway through and freezes,

anybody got any clues or fixes?

Sponsored Links
Have you installed any new hardware/software recently? What is the status of your anti virus/spyware software?

Windows ME always was a problematic O/S on most of the machines I have seen. How long since you last re-installed it. If it's been a while and things have slowed down, it's a good idea to do a fresh install. Backup all your data and then format the drive and start from fresh.

I think the installer problem is due to the fact that i`m using a copy of Windows! I know its kinda naughty but hey do I give a f**k!

Does anyone know where I can get a original copy of ME?

Sponsored Links
If you are going to buy a copy of Windows (naughty boy for using a pirated version!), why stick with ME?

Take the opportunity to upgrade to XP. The user interface differences won't be enough to bother you, but it is a much more stable OS.

AdamW said:
If you are going to buy a copy of Windows (naughty boy for using a pirated version!), why stick with ME?

computer_pirate_sword_sm_clr.gif

AdamW said:
Take the opportunity to upgrade to XP. The user interface differences won't be enough to bother you, but it is a much more stable OS.

Tis true, but make sure your kit is up to it.

I have a twin harddisk system running ME on a WD Caviar 16gb and I have XP running on a Seagate 60gb drive and I like to have ME there to run games that just won`t work in XP, plus I think the WD Caviar is knackered because every so often it makes an horrible clunking noise and I can`t always access it from XP so how can I back up all my junk to try and format the drive when I can`t even access it! and my system is starting to get a little old and slow so maybe it`s time for a change.

Sounds like the drive is knackered, so don't rely on it. You can get a test program from www.wdc.com for the drive which will tell you the status. I always found Win98 more stable than ME anyway. Be careful if trying to reinstall ME (or 98 ) as it will trash your XP boot sector. XP should be installed last.

Most older games will work under XP if you run them in compatibility mode.

Sponsored Links
Back