Winter tyres

My daughters boyfriend has semi slicks on his Megane, totally useless this week.

I did wonder how a Golf R 4x4 would be in the snow with some decent winter tyres on?

I have the Superb 4x4 on winter tyres. It was great. Instead of joining the long and hardly moving treck of sh.t scared summer tyre drivers on the main roads I took the country side roads home. 30 min for 10 miles on 15 to 30 cm of snow and some snow drifts and mostly empty roads. You have traction and control all the time. When I overtook some drivers going 20MpH with probably 50 MpH they hooted assuming I had the same brown trouser sensation they had.

Sponsored Links
I just waded through some floods tonight, wade sensors told me I was at 500mm and it never missed a beat, felt sorry for the poor sod who abandoned his astra in the middle of the road in nearly a wheel depth of water, that was the most exciting bit for me having to avoid and go round him

Fitted a set of Winter tyres to daughter's car, (Mazda 2) as she's a student in Scotland and her college is at the top of a long hill. She was the only 2WD car to make it to the top the other day. Prior to fitting them, she couldn't.

I was really anoid when BBC and Sky News kept asking for people with 4x4 cars to help people and drive med. staff to work. They should have instead asked for winter tyre equipped cars and maybe they should even had some programs showing people the difference, so they can help themselves and stop windging.

Sponsored Links
The vast majority of us just don't get enough bad weather to justify having an extra set of wheels/tyres sitting around for most of the year.

you could have a a full set of arctic boots on your car the other day around here. wouldn't have helped much as you'd still have been stuck behind the 1000's of cars on the '127 that didn't and as that's the first snow I've seen on it in 4 years, winter tyres aren't a thing worth considering TBH.

Compromise and have all weather tyres. As for the 4x4 issue I don't see the point of having traction to drive off yet no better grip when it comes to stopping. Very few Chelsea Tractors have winter tyres.

Any comments on snow chains then. Snow forecast again this weekend.

Doesn't snow for long enough, and doesn't last for long enough to fit snow chains, if you come across areas or patches with no snow then snow chains become a liability and wear down a lot faster

The grip afforded by snow chains is incredible - but only if you are on compacted ice. Tarmac would damage the chains quickly and I'd expect the tyres would have a hard time too.
Compulsory in parts of the Alps, in winter.
John :)

Any comments on snow chains then. Snow forecast again this weekend.

Snow chains in the UK are restricted to roads with a full covering of snow. They cause quite a lot of damage to tarmac.

In response to the OP.

I've got cross climates on an Audi A3 Quattro. They're a little noisier than average and are maybe a tiny bit less precise than Continental Sport Contacts. They seem nearly as good in snow as full winters (Kumhos in my case) and don't kill the handling (the Kumhos were very understeery unless it was below zero temps).

I'd buy them again.

I didn't really notice the extra road noise until I read this thread and thought about it - Definitely more at motorway speed - I usually drive alone so no dramas, though I have the stereo on a bit louder and that can’t be good for the old ear drums.
I buy part worn Dunlop Winter Sport SP's for about £40 a pair in about November and they're just about ready for replacement with summer tyres now - don't have storage for a spare set of wheels/tyres as I live in London.

My regular driving style ensures the summer tyres need replacement around November..

Sponsored Links
Back