Wire colours - Black & Yellow - which is live??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to wire in a light, but it's old wire colours and I've got a black, yellow and yellow/green.

I know the yellow/green is earth, but what are the other two?

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
is the lampholder a screw or bayonet type?
if screw then the wire which goes to the centre terminal will be your live.
Just make sure the light is mains rated though.

Hi

It's the house wires that are black and yellow, the light I bought has brown & blue wires.

I just dont know which goes to which.

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
Ah :!: as the wiring is non standard presuming you have yellow AND black in the same sheath of the cable then a bit of a rewire is in order i'd check with a local sparks first

I wont need to rewire the house will I??

I just need to find out if the black wire or the yellow wire is live?

Any ideas??

Craig

wouldn't know if a whole rewire was necessary without inspecting, thats why i advised seeing a local sparks, it may be that wire is a flex (for instance) that someone has chucked in? and the rest of the house is ok, worth finding out for peace of mind.

CTSW2004 said:
I wont need to rewire the house will I??
I just need to find out if the black wire or the yellow wire is live?

Craig, if you can't work out which is live then you're not equipped to do the job safely. And if you're in the UK, with that wiring colour scheme then I'd be concerned.

Call in an electrician and get his opinion. You should get this for free, but only a full inspection and test will verify if your installation is safe and is worth the cost for peace of mind.

Agree with dingbat, but have suggestion. Is supply cable a cut down three core and earth? You may have yellow as switched live....

Just a thought... Yellow couldn't have been a way of indicating on what part of a three phase install that circuit is, could it? Unlikely, I know, but just a thought. Sounds dodgy either way.

Now, Ban, don't be utterly unreasonable - to have made a note of the original connections.......................

securespark said:
Agree with dingbat, but have suggestion. Is supply cable a cut down three core and earth? You may have yellow as switched live....
I thought of that at first but the black suggests not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back