Wire for electric fence energiser

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We run an energiser for electric netting around the hen run. After a few years some of the connectors are getting ropey, and the insulation on the wires is becoming UV degraded and brittle. Can anyone suggest the best sort of wire to use for this purpose, and a good supplier? The cables that need to be replaced are ..

Supply to/from the solar panel, around 500mA @ 14V
Earth from the HV side of the energiser to the earth rod
Output from the HV side of the energiser to the fence - this one carries the pulses of 5 or 10kV.
There are also +ve and -ve cables to the 12V battery, but these are undercover so protected.

The important characteristics would be long life outdoors, flexibility, and compatibility with standard crimp terminals so I can put the right ring or fork terminals to suit.

I thought maybe test lead flex would be appropriate, but I'm not sure how that would stand being outdoors. I also wonder about voltage rating for the output cable, but the original from the manufacturer looks to be perfectly ordinary PVC insulated equipment wire, nothing special either for the high voltage or for exterior use.

Any suggestions or comments welcome,

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Maybe the damage you're seeing isn't, or isn't entirely, UV related. It might be, or partly be, the cumulative effect of those HV pulses...

If you want to try ordinary cable and see how it goes, I'd suggest tough rubber sheathed. I think (but am not absolutely sure) that what is often sold as "pond cable" is TRS.

But why not simply buy some of this: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=electric+fence+supply+cable ?

I recall many years ago when the farmer I worked for was building some new sheds, we ran the HT around just using bare wire and supporting it on insulators.

Ie, we used the same wire and insulators that you'd use when putting an electric wire strand along a fence. Dunno what the wire was made from, but my guess would be galvanised steel.

The fencer came from New Zealand and was designed to run many miles of sheep fencing. Needless to say, the cows only went near it once :eek: We only went near it when switched off - and that was with it on the half-power terminal.

Maybe the damage you're seeing isn't, or isn't entirely, UV related. It might be, or partly be, the cumulative effect of those HV pulses...

If you want to try ordinary cable and see how it goes, I'd suggest tough rubber sheathed. I think (but am not absolutely sure) that what is often sold as "pond cable" is TRS.

But why not simply buy some of this: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=electric+fence+supply+cable ?
Thanks. I can't seem to find either "Pond" or Tough Rubber Sheathed singles, only multicore. I suspect that means that the toughness and weather resistance applies only to the outer sheath and not to the insulation around the individual conductors.

Searching around I see stuff called "lead out" cable, purpose made for the HV feed to the fence - seems to be single strand steel core though, so not sure how well the crimp terminals will fit. Presumably it's outdoor rated though, and suitable for the HV pulses. Interestingly one of the suppliers says that steel conducts these better than copper (although both our energisers were supplied with copper, so presumably it's not a factor over a short length).

I'm am pretty sure the degradation is due to age/UV/weather etc, not to the voltage as the condition of the solar panel cables is pretty much the same as the HV cable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I can't seem to find either "Pond" or Tough Rubber Sheathed singles, only multicore.
Hmm.

Black tri-rated?

I suspect that means that the toughness and weather resistance applies only to the outer sheath and not to the insulation around the individual conductors.
Use small csa multicore, parallel the conductors, seal the end with glue-lined heatshrink and/or self-amalgamating tape?

Searching around I see stuff called "lead out" cable, purpose made for the HV feed to the fence - seems to be single strand steel core though, so not sure how well the crimp terminals will fit.
Ask them about termination methods.

I'm am pretty sure the degradation is due to age/UV/weather etc, not to the voltage as the condition of the solar panel cables is pretty much the same as the HV cable.
OK.

Black tri-rated?
Cheers. Why black, is that more UV resistant? Ideally I'd use the existing colour codes which is Red for 12V +ve and for HV out, Green for Earth and Black for 12V -ve. Of course if only black cable is available or suitable, there are other ways of identifying them, so not necessarily a show stopper.

Worst case I can just buy a bunch of crimps and extra flexible PVC insulated cable and get the new leads made up. If they only last a couple of years I could cross that one when I get to it.

Have asked our normal supplier about compatible connectors for the Lead Out cable, but that still leaves the 12V leads to get sorted out.

Why black, is that more UV resistant?
Yup.

Ideally I'd use the existing colour codes which is Red for 12V +ve and for HV out, Green for Earth and Black for 12V -ve. Of course if only black cable is available or suitable, there are other ways of identifying them, so not necessarily a show stopper.
Coloured sleeving at the terminations.

Or do away with the fence, raise the coop(s) on stilts and use those African-style ladders which hens can get up but foxes etc can't :mrgreen:

chicken-house-on-telegraph-pole.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back