Wire wall light to plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering purchasing a couple of wall lights for the bedroom, and just wanted to double check what I was planning on doing was fine.

I want to connect these using external wires to a plug (fused with 3A) which I'll then plug into the socket nearby. I intend to use a grommet (probably actually something like this) to ensure the cable doesn't get damaged where I have drilled a hole in the casing.

Would this setup be something that is ok, or is there something I've missed here? (Also would it be ok to wire both lights to a single plug, or should each be wired to a separate one)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Personally, I hate to see wires dangling down a wall.
But otherwise your plan looks ok. Plug needs a 3A fuse.

Make sure you use 3-core cable if those lights need an earth

Would this setup be something that is ok, or is there something I've missed here?
I'm with TTC on the dangling cable thing.

But there is a bigger problem, probably, with your idea - a cable clamp/restraint inside the light. It's made to be attached to your fixed wiring, so it will probably not have any way of clamping the cable, but it's got to have one if you wire it using a loose flex as you plan to.

(Also would it be ok to wire both lights to a single plug, or should each be wired to a separate one)
Separate - plugs are not designed to take multiple cables.

Why not just do it properly?

But there is a bigger problem, probably, with your idea - a cable clamp/restraint inside the light. It's made to be attached to your fixed wiring, so it will probably not have any way of clamping the cable, but it's got to have one if you wire it using a loose flex as you plan to.

The grommet I intend to us has a strain relief clamp.

Why not just do it properly?

It's just an option I'm considering, and it would be to make a feature out of the wiring rather than it just been wiring running down the wall.

Sponsored Links
The grommet I intend to us has a strain relief clamp.
Ah - OK - I didn't look at the link to what you said you'd use.

Grommets:

rubber_grommets.jpg

It's just an option I'm considering, and it would be to make a feature out of the wiring rather than it just been wiring running down the wall.
"Wiring running down a wall" is wiring running buried in the wall, not seen at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back