Wired alarm for 2 doors - minimum cost (DIY)?

Please tell the readers what happens if the battery goes totally flat ( or that battery contact problem disses the battery ) while the alarm is set.
If a sensor sends "Battery Low" or due to no power left a sensor stops sending any messages while the alarm is set then does the panel inform the user ( who may be on holiday ) or does it set the siren going ?

The battery low warnings start when there is approximately 3-4 weeks life left in the battery at which stage the panel bleeps every 30 seconds and the orange fault light comes on at the panel.

Would YOU go on holiday when you have been given a warning beep every 30 seconds for a month or would YOU consider it prudent to change the batteries first?

But I have read your comments and explanations about the way the system functions. You might convince a prospective purchaser but you set alarm bells ringing in the minds of people who have some knowledge about what an alarm system should be.

Bernard PLEASE start your own alarm company and then produce the perfect alarm which YOU would be happy with , tick all your boxes,answer all your own queries and then sell it for £200...

I wait with baited breath to see you make ANY attempt to produce ANYTHING at all comparable to what Yale have done for the domestic market.

Why don't you go and troll your local skoda garage by telling the manager that a BMW is better...

. . . .that is the sort of thing that floats your boat isn't it?

Look you have admitted you have never installed or tested a Yale so from now on you cannot be taken in the slightest seriously.
You keep making one incorrect assumption after another. I only answer you so your answers don't misinform people,If I was only answering you personally I would tell you to grow up.

Stop taking the lazy way out Bernard by making one incorrect assumption after another.

Go buy a Yale alarm and test it thoroughly.Install it to the best of your ability taking all considerations into account. Do break in tests and then when you have done all that. Come back and report your findings.
Otherwise I cannot continue to answer your questions just to support your laziness.

Sponsored Links
repeated question to mdf said:
or that battery contact problem disses the battery
Sensor suddenly, without warning stops sending anything when alarm set.

Suddenly stops for any reason. Does the alarm go off when the sensor has been silent for long time or does it just issue a warning that the sensor is "out of order".

repeated question to mdf said:
or that battery contact problem disses the battery
Sensor suddenly, without warning stops sending anything when alarm set.

Suddenly stops for any reason. Does the alarm go off when the sensor has been silent for long time or does it just issue a warning that the sensor is "out of order".

I know the answer to that . The panel fault light will come on and a message will display at the screen and the warning beep will sound every 30 seconds. The display will read 'Out of order XXX sensor'

Of course we are talking about a property that if PROPERLY security surveyed will have door contacts on all exterior doors and patio doors and pir sensors in all rooms with window access to outside and any connecting passages or hallways. One sensor going down does not equate to an insecure home. Incidentally I have yet to have a reported sensor failure and some are approaching five years in situ now. Not bad eh . .?

Perhaps you would like to tell me what happens when a WIRED alarm sensor fails?

Now I have pretty much had enough of you scraping the barrel looking for faults Bernie. Boring just does not even begin to describe your behaviour.

You are now beginning to ask questions that equally apply to all alarms even pro installed wired ones so I think you have really run out of steam don't you?

[Perhaps you would like to tell me what happens when a WIRED alarm sensor fails?

With a wired system the panel is continuously aware of the state of the sensor and can ( in some systems ) ask the sensor to perform a self test procedure. Remember the sensor is powered from the panel via the cable so is not limited in the use of power to the same extent as a battery powered sensor would be.

If a sensor fails then the panel's reaction can be one of many depending on how the panel / system is designed and user programmed.

One system I have interfaced to expected to see movement from sensors 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. If a sensor did not report any motion during that time the system considered this to be a possible fault in the sensor and requested the owner to assist the panel by doing a walk test on that sensor.

You still haven't answered the question, which I will re-word to make it even clearer for you

If a wireless sensor fails to send any routine "I am still here" messages to the panel when the alarm is set does the panel go into alarm or just report the sensor as missing ?

I think you are the one scraping your barrel to try to justify the use the equipment you promote. I have a minor problem with Mr Joe Public buying equipment and installing it un-aware of the small print about its operation. I have a big problem with people who promote and sell equipment as being better than it is when they are aware of the small print and deficiencies of the equipment.

Sponsored Links
[Perhaps you would like to tell me what happens when a WIRED alarm sensor fails?

With a wired system the panel is continuously aware of the state of the sensor and can ( in some systems ) ask the sensor to perform a self test procedure. Remember the sensor is powered from the panel via the cable so is not limited in the use of power to the same extent as a battery powered sensor would be.

If it fail the panels reaction can be one of many depending on how the panel / system is designed and user programmed.

One system I have interfaced to expected to see movement from sensors 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. If a sensor did not report any motion during that time the system considered this to be a possible fault and requested the owner to assist the panel by doing a walk test on that sensor.

You still haven't answered the question, which I will re-word to make it even clearer for you

If a wireless sensor fails to send any routine "I am still here" messages to the panel when the alarm is set does the panel go into alarm or just report the sensor as missing ?

I think you are the one scraping your barrel to try to justify the use the equipment you promote. I have a minor problem with Mr Joe Public buying equipment and installing it un-aware of the small print about its operation. I have a big problem with people who promote and sell equipment as being better than it is when they are aware of the small print and deficiencies of the equipment.

So a wired system won't necessarily report a duff sensor then? Thanks or that. Strange because the Yale system actually does!!!!

You know the more you try to pick faults the more I realise just how good the Yale systems are and how much work they have done to try to make the systems as reliable as possible.

With the Yale you can also program a mobility check at 4 , 8 or 12 hr intervals which will activate the alarm if no movement is detected within those timeframes by any sensor. It is primarily to aid awareness of an elderly or infirm relative to ensure they are active.
It could however be set at 12 hrs as a matter of course for most families as an indication that one of the sensors has failed but why should you when you will know within a minute at your panel if one of the sensors had failed anyway.
I will not answer your re-asked question as I gave a comprehensive response in the first reply.

I will totally ignore your comment about me promoting equipment as being better than it is because that comment is actually libelous.

I have always answered every question asked in the fullest detail possible. There is absolutely no attempt from me to make any false claims whatsoever. I can back up everything I have said with working examples of systems all installed and working perfectly.

As far as answering anymore of your questions or inferences now Bernard forget it. I come on this forum to give genuine free advice to consumers having issues with their Yale alarms. I am not on here to massage your ego or answer interminable questions from a troll.
Here is my advice because you won't get any more replies from me.

Buy a yale alarm and install it and test it. I assume you have the ability to learn from that exercise and that you can afford to buy one.
I seriously doubt your objectivity anymore as you are totally unable to change your position despite all evidence to the contrary.

I will treat your future 'what if' responses with the contempt you deserve as a mere troll.

Your "comprehensive answer" appears to be only that the panel will start bleeping if a sensor "goes missing" and if the owner goes on holiday with it bleeping he is at fault.

Your "comprehensive answer" does not appear to say whether loss of a sensor while the alarm is set will result in the siren sounding in alarm mode. It seems to imply that a sensor being lost will only set the warning bleeps and not trigger a full alarm.

Your "comprehensive answer" appears to be only that the panel will start bleeping if a sensor "goes missing" and if the owner goes on holiday with it bleeping he is at fault.

Your "comprehensive answer" does not appear to say whether loss of a sensor while the alarm is set will result in the siren sounding in alarm mode. It seems to imply that a sensor being lost will only set the warning bleeps and not trigger a full alarm.

Yes that is exactly what I said so why do you think asking the question twice will get a different response?

I really don't see where you are trying to go with this line. many professional wired systems have more than on pir one the same zone so how do you justify that and how would you pinpoint the errant sensor?

Why would losing a sensor necessitate sounding a full alarm? In a monitored system would you really want to pay for a keyholder or police response when it was only a false alarm. as long as your servicing is up to date your insurance would still cover you in the event of an alarm malfunction.

Yes also to the fact that if someone is given a months notice that a sensor is failing and he does not bother to fix the issue then he can fully expect to lose his security and deservedly so.

When your oil light comes on in your car do you check the oil levels as soon as possible and top up or do you drive around until the engine inevitably fails and then argue the toss with the manufacturer?

I suspect you would choose the second option :rolleyes:

then it's not a rule.

"All cars are green"

"Some are red"

"there are exceptions to every rule" :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back