Wired alarm for 2 doors - minimum cost (DIY)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stay in a small semi-bungalow in an area that's generally regarded as very safe. I'm not daft though, I know burglary can happen to anyone and I'd sleep better knowing I'd taken some sort of precaution. But I also know these things can grow arms & legs, so I'm not going to go nuts.

The windows are all at least 10ft from the ground, accessible only by upper hoppers and are new double glazed with multiple-point locks - not saying it's never gonna happen, but I think it's unlikely they'd be entry points. The only other points are front & back doors, which are what I'd like to concentrate on (especially rear).

So, I'd just like some ideas of what type of system I'd be looking at. I'd probably think about a couple of internal PIRs too. At a stretch maybe some sort of pressure sensor at the back door (whoops, arms and legs already!).
Am competent with wiring so would be DIYing it.

Sponsored Links
Pressure mats went out with arm and leg waving.
Your able and allowed to fit a spur to your mains wiring ( I know you have diff regs there)?

Weird window heights, what do you live in ? A caravan on stilts?

No, just on a hill! Suppose the cellar is quite tall - externally, it's about 5ft from ground to the bottom of the window, then the window's about 4-5ft up to the hopper.

Contacts on the doors.
One as a main entry exit if possible, safe than two being used.
Pirs good, always need goods protected.
Maybe some perimeter detection on the windows, they may not know the drops.

Budget is your next answer needed, do you want it policed or just calling you? Or maybe want it policed in the future? Or just bells only?

Sponsored Links
Festive tidings and a somewhat late thanks!

I'd forgotten all about this but it's back on the agenda. A spark will add the spur, but I'll hook up the rest. Again, not too bothered about window contacts, but will maybe get a system that allows for it in future. Don't require police monitoring but a dialler would be handy.

On a related note, there was a couple of PIR floodlights installed before we moved in - for some bizarre reason the on/off switches are in the attic but they seem to be stuck to full 'on', not working by PIR. Is there anyway to reset them, or is it possible they have been wired in this way?

Hi dagoof,

Sorry for the late reply, just noticed your last post while browsing.

Those switches must have been there for some time by the sound of things. If they are resting on insulating material they should not be there, and in any case, whether they are or not, they still shouldn't be there.

I am assuming that the floodlights are part of a combined 'flood/passive' arrangement and that the floodlights are say 500 Watt, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Whoever installed them should have brought the supply to the flood/ passives into a room and terminated with a fused spur. It is from this point that the 'flood/passives' should receive their power and not from the attic.

If there are two switches on a single plate, then it is possible that one is a 'override' switch, and the other a 'supply switch', but I couldn't guarantee that without seeing the wiring at the switch boxes. Diffferent combinations of the two switches give different results. For example one switch off and the other on could be the combination to 'override' the passives. Incidentally, a system of this nature is only applicable to a single 'flood/passive' and they should not have been wired so that just the two switches are effectively switching three or four 500 Watt floodlights. I would suggest therefore, that you consider asking a local electrician to resolve this matter for you.

Can you move the switches, that is 'do they press to their on and off positions easily. If they don't then there may be a condensation problem which over time has effected them. Again, the only answer is to replace the switches... but not in the attic (a qualified electrician can also sort this for you ).

Now I may have got the wrong idea, since you don't mention whether the attic is a bona fide 'attic room' or if it is simply a place where the christmas decorations are stored (my house being a classic example). There may be something more which you may wish to add, if so, simply let us know and we'll go from there.

Happy new year to you,

Chain Daisy.

Hi chain daisy, there's an attic conversion - the lights are connected to 2 properly mounted switches in the eaves/crawlspace. I had actually mentioned the issue to my father in law who reckoned there'll be control switches externally on the lights, so going to check that out when I get access to longer ladders.

Hi Dagoof,

Thanks for getting in touch,

It doesn't sound so bad then, worth having an electrician to give it a quick check though. What sort of alarm are you thinking of, wired or wireless. I'm in the trade so it's usually wired with me, although wireless presents itself every few months. Replying to a thread this week where a chap bought a Yale system which appears to cover your needs. It does not have all the bells and whistles of trade wireless but it might suit your needs. It's called a Yale Premium and has quite a few good features going for it at about £130 all in. Think theres a dialler with it as well. I saw it at 'Ironmongery direct', might be worth a glance if you're considering your options.

Keep in touch,

Chain Daisy.

the Yale HSA6400 Premium wireless alarm kit does include a dialler in the control panel, and the Ironmongery Direct price is very good. However that excludes carriage and VAT. It is also on offer at Screwfix at a similar price.

Thanks for that John,

I was also thinking earlier that if Dagoof decided to go wired perhaps a 9448 might be an idea, I heard on here somewhere that it is retailing at a decent price but can't remember the outlet. What are your thoughts ?

Take Care

Chain Daisy.

dunno

I only know about the alarms I've had at my own home and commercial premises (both Galaxy) and I've fitted for family (Yales)

That's fair comment John, Good on you for fitting Galaxy, bit beyond me to be honest. Yale are supposed to be selling like hot cakes these days so there must be something going for them.

Talk with you soon,

Take Care

Chain Daisy.

was fitted by local NACOSS alarm company.

Hi John,

You obviously know who to go for then, I can't think of one nacoss registered in my area, although some are still very good, there are always a few cowboys round the corner.

Take Care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back