Wireless DIY alarm recommendations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi after reading several threads on here thought I would sign up.

So I am after a DIY wireless alarm system with a minimum of 2-3 motion sensors, 2 door contacts and the ability to part arm the system. I also want something I can run a second keypad in our bedroom I will have a budget of around £200 maximum

Having read through some previous threads I would like to say I know a wired system would be better but as we have already decorated that is not a option, I cannot afford monitored, I cannot afford a professional installed system. At the moment we have no alarm atall so anything is better than nothing, we have a dog as an intimidation factor, next door neighbor is usually home in the day times and we are surrounded by retirement bungalows so the old dears are like my personal monitoring system (seriously I get reports if anyone's been to the door)

Thanks
Shane

Sponsored Links
Your budget would just about get you a Yale alarm from Ironmongery direct.

825434 Yale Premium Alarm Kit
£130.00

546845 Yale Additional PIR Detector
£17.45

913169 Yale Additonal Remote Keypad
£27.25

Payment methods Sub Total (Exc VAT): £174.70
VAT @ 20.0%: £34.94
Grand Total: £209.64

Hi,

Hope I'm not hijacking the post. Anything to do with Yale, simply ask for MDF, he's the knowledge on this gear.

Hi,

Hope I'm not hijacking the post. Anything to do with Yale, simply ask for MDF, he's the knowledge on this gear.
Not hijacking at all :)
Obviously your other advice would be suitable in the other post but I doubt we would get anywhere near budget.

Sponsored Links
Hi MDF,

Thanks for that. I'm going to make an effort in the new year to up my knowledge on Yale systems, hope I can rely on you for some help.

Best Wishes

I'm going to make an effort in the new year to up my knowledge on Yale systems
At the same time make the effort to learn about wireless and wireless communications with specific attention to Short Range Devices operating on licence exempt frequencies.

Then you will be able to fully understand why the design of ALL legal to use wireless connected equipment operating on licence exempt frequencies has to be a compromise between what is required and what is permitted.

You should then also be able to understand the effect that compromise has on the operation of the equipment.

This applies to all equipment operating on licence exempt frequencies and is not limited to alarm systems.

Also see if you can find any evidence (not speculation or rumour) of RF interference blocking a signal from a sensor at the exact moment that a burglar breaks in, enabling a crime to be committed without the alarm sounding.

What a bold and welcoming gesture from the last few wireless experts. I first began researching wireless systems in the days of 'Thrust Technologies'... remember them, they might still be trading, not sure about that, but it was probably around late 70's early 80's. I have a city & guilds in electronics. Now, I am not entirely persuaded but there could be a conflict of opinion in these last two posts.... perhaps one is trying to tell me something completely at odds with the other...the jury's out on that one. I have no desire to add a further post and it may therefore be pertinent to insert that of the several wireless systems installed by our team, just two have caused concern, and in each case were 'two way signalling' (I think that's the common term you use on this site, although it is not strictly correct), given that the foregoing paragraphs apply, I fail to comprehend what precisely your motives may be, although I am sure that your posts are made on the precept that they shall have some benefit to myself. In those circumstances I convey my utmost thanks. On the other hand however, you may both wish to post that same information which you kindly suggest that I research. I am sure it would be of help to other members of the public viewing this forum. I am sure you shall agree that I made mention of looking at the Yale systems in particular, which by all accounts are 'selling like hot cakes', as opposed to leafing through my extensive library of theoretical electronics and practical electronics, since in the real world both concepts give rise to opposing results. Thankyou for your kind offers. I look forward to reading your theses on your mutual subjects. I should finally add that 'probability' is now part of a Open University degree course, in that light a comprehensive study of every single yale installation, past and present, would be required in order to produce that particular probability factor. Pardon my indolence on that aspect, but at the moment I personally would consider a failure to detect at any given precise moment to be somewhere in the region of a few million to one against it happening. Scienctific research is based on a single hypothesis (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle), it is from this embryonic hypothesis that fact emerges resultant from perhaps experimentation to the degree of thousandfold. Where a scientist is unable to prove with absolute evidence, then he is the first to imply that he "....has a theory which is not proven fact...." (Sir Charles Darwin).

Best Wishes.

Also see if you can find any evidence (not speculation or rumour) of RF interference blocking a signal from a sensor at the exact moment that a burglar breaks in, enabling a crime to be committed without the alarm sounding.

Of course not forgetting that the inteference would have to occur again when the sensor detected movement again only a second or so later and again in another second or so...when the second, third and fourth movements were detected...by which time the alarm would have gone off.

The statistical probability then becomes incalcuable because either the Jamming detection would have set off the alarm or the alarm itself would have activated due to the movement.

You might want to look at the Visonic Powermax+ equipment. Apart from being wireless and immune to pet movement it can also telephone up to 4 separate numbers to alert on a trip , can be remotely set on or off by telephone and can also be used as an eaves-drop on the burgallers as they ransack your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back