Wired audio setup for home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbing my house and redoing all teh wires, adding Cat 5e networking etc.

I'm also considering some sort of wired hifi system so I don't end up with trailing speaker leads. I want to keep the cost down, so wont be going down the zoned route. I'm considering at a simple level just burying some wires from where the tv is to a few points in teh sitting room so I can get surround sound. I might also bury a conduit under the floor so I can draw cables through in the future.

Anyone done somehting similar? Did it turn out to be useful or a waste of time (i.e. you moved the tv and it's redundant)?

Sponsored Links
I install AV for a living so I'm biased :LOL: , but prewiring when the walls are already exposed for plastering is a sensible and cost effective thing to do.

or a waste of time (i.e. you moved the tv and it's redundant)?

Only you can answer that one.

If you're likely to convert another room into a cinema later on, then it's not so important as you would most likely retreat to there for surround sound awesomeness.

If you like to have the screen front-and-centre, with speakers in the correct places, then install the wiring.

But, if you are likely to shove the screen into a corner with the speakers sitting wherever they fit amongst the cushions, candles, tampons and hairdryers then it's not worth it. :(

As you're installing a wired network in your house though, I think it's safe to say you'll want the front-and-centre-speakers-in-the-right-place approach. ;)

Sponsored Links
I recently done my living room for Christmas, put 5.1 on the walls all wires chased into the walls then filled over, also my TV has scart/RGB/HHDMI/power all in the wall also

Couldnt have the rear speakers were i wanted them due to the right rear being underneath the light switch so this way still works very good indeed

Only have 5.1 on my PC but I can put a DVD in my drive and then get 5.1 its not hooked up to an AMP just my PC, the bass box is under my fish tank

Oh and these speakers are Logitech x530 cheapest is Currys £40 and worth every penny, 99% of the reviews claim they are totally amazing and I agree

View media item 29899 View media item 29900

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back