Wired Doorbell Chime With Wireless Button

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a wired doorbell and chime which is connected via a transformer straight into the consumer unit. We've just had new windows, PVC, and it's such a good job that I'm loathed to drill through the frame to re-fit the button and cable.
Is there such a beast as a wired doorbell chime but with a wireless button. I will then be able to wire in the new chime in the same place as the old one using the same cable with little disruption and I can stick the button onto the frame with the usual sticky pads.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can buy plug-in sounders with wireless buttons.

argos and everyone should have them.

Is there such a beast as a wired doorbell chime but with a wireless button.

why not just by one opf them junk radio doorbells?

you know the ones, where the button battery gives up after 5 weeks and you cant open it because it has been rained on and "sealed it self" or you pull too hard and the sticky pad comes off, or its the one no one does the battery for.

whats wrong with mounting the button on the brickwork next to the door, and put a lable pointing to the new position (or have you no brickwork left)

Sponsored Links
Is there such a beast as a wired doorbell chime but with a wireless button.

why not just by one opf them junk radio doorbells?

you know the ones, where the button battery gives up after 5 weeks and you cant open it because it has been rained on and "sealed it self" or you pull too hard and the sticky pad comes off, or its the one no one does the battery for.

whats wrong with mounting the button on the brickwork next to the door, and put a lable pointing to the new position (or have you no brickwork left)

Thanks for your reply.
There is no brickwork, never has been, there's nowhere to mount the button except for on the PVC frames.

You can buy plug-in sounders with wireless buttons.

argos and everyone should have them.

Thanks for your reply.
The problem with that is, I would have to remove all of the existing wiring, as I wouldn't just leave it there, which might leave some mess but most of all seems a little pointless when all I could do (hopefully) is simply remove the old chime and replace with a like-for-like wireless one.

From Aldi I bought two wireless door bells where the door push is battery operated but the gong is mains powered running along side the original two sounder system as I kept having to collect my wife’s ebay rubbish from post office when she did not hear the door bell in her bed room. The mechanics worked well but placing the sounder in socket for her bed side lamp has caused some friction. They also do fully battery operated from time to time and being able to put sounder in other locations i.e. garage does have some advantages. But to alter the tune needs access to rear of door push and as soon as one has a power cut it returns to default.
Eric

From Aldi I bought two wireless door bells where the door push is battery operated but the gong is mains powered running along side the original two sounder system as I kept having to collect my wife’s ebay rubbish from post office when she did not hear the door bell in her bed room. The mechanics worked well but placing the sounder in socket for her bed side lamp has caused some friction. They also do fully battery operated from time to time and being able to put sounder in other locations i.e. garage does have some advantages. But to alter the tune needs access to rear of door push and as soon as one has a power cut it returns to default.
Eric

Thanks for your reply.
Is what you describe one of those plug in chimes though. As what I am after is a mains wired-in chime, but with a wireless button.

Most the Friedland wire free units can be mains powered but they do not seem to do a converter to make an existing unit wire free.
They do a converter that will allow you to use a wired push with a wire free unit so you can have both fully wired and portable unit work off same push but not other way around I suppose the conversion unit would cost as much as a new chime anyway so no point.
But as far as I can see the wire free models are powered with a DC supply from a plug in power supply but the wired use an AC supply and I have not found any 3.6VDC doorbell transformers which can be hard wired in same way as 8VAC types can be i.e. built into consumer unit.
Eric

Most the Friedland wire free units can be mains powered but they do not seem to do a converter to make an existing unit wire free.
They do a converter that will allow you to use a wired push with a wire free unit so you can have both fully wired and portable unit work off same push but not other way around I suppose the conversion unit would cost as much as a new chime anyway so no point.
But as far as I can see the wire free models are powered with a DC supply from a plug in power supply but the wired use an AC supply and I have not found any 3.6VDC doorbell transformers which can be hard wired in same way as 8VAC types can be i.e. built into consumer unit.
Eric

I have made some enquiries with Friedland and they tell me that a wired chime with wireless button does not exist. But, like you say, some of the Friedland wireless chimes can be mains wired as an alternative, so they're wrong there.
That coventer you mention is the opposite of what I need really, as you say, as that keeps the wired button but enables you to add a wireless chime. I want it the other way round, wired chime but wireless button.
There has to be a wireless system that has the option of wiring the chime into the mains, surely, even the most basic of some battery chimes are able to be wired in.

I looked at prices and I know I did not pay anything like they are asking for and although there may be a chime that will do what you want at around £5 for plug in type from Aldi and £50 up for the special types I thing I would return to a manual door knocker?
Eric

breezer said:
I think it would have been easier to drill a hole in the first place

Yes, looks like I could be putting the wired doorbell back up. Either that or go to the trouble of taking the wiring/transformer/chime out and getting a standard wireless one.
Seems such a waste though, as some electrician has gone to a great deal of trouble to put that in (for the previous owners) and it's a really good job. That's why I wanted to utilise it if I could.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back