Wired doorbell push

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a mains powered wired doorbell in my house and the push button stopped working recently after it all went a bit rusty. I bought a replacement online which is illuminated (the original one wasn't).

The transformer in the loft is rated at 8v 0.5amps and the packaging for the button says 8v 2amps. I decided to wire it up anyway as its only a low voltage system and it all works fine including the light.

My question is, will there be any chance of me damaging the transformer by using a 2amp rated switch on a 0.5amp transformer?

Thanks in advance :)[/list]

Sponsored Links
Nothing to worry about, you'll be fine. The bell will draw the current it requires. If it works, it works.

I assume they just mean the switch is rated to switch up to 2 amps which is ample for most bells

If it was the lamp that needed 2amps then it would be a problem, though thats unlikely

Usually the lamp is wired across the two terminals same as an unlit version and takes hardly any current.

When operated the bell sounds and light goes off

I agree should be ok

Sponsored Links
My question is, will there be any chance of me damaging the transformer by using a 2amp rated switch on a 0.5amp transformer?
FYI that's just like worrying if you'd damage something weighing 50kg because you'd put it on a shelf which could support 200kg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back