Wireing a Security Light, my wires dont match the Wiki pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Security Light in the back garden was ripped out of the wall by the recent storms (undersized wall plugs) and I'm trying to set it up again.
The lights back on the wall and the wires are all secure inside it, but the light, and a kitchen light nearby both no longer work.

A bit of background.
There are three sort of connected lights, the main kitchen light has a single switch at the inside door and can be turned on/off by one of three switches at the kitchen door. The second light (the one that doesnt work) in a larder type thing, is turned on and off from here, as is the security light.

Going in to the Security light, I have two grey cables, one containing a red, a black and an earth, the other containing two reds and an earth.
I cant find this set up in any of my DIY books.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
What cables are at the switches?

Do you have a multimeter to help identify cables?

I havent taken the switch block off the wall, will that help?
Dont have a multi meter either, dont really like messing with electrics, but would like my larder light and security light back on.

Sponsored Links
dont really like messing with electrics
Somebody will have to - if not you then an electrician.

Sorry that wasnt clear, I have no problems changing light fittings or anything else thats just wire up as already wired, but if it requires electrical tools, well its probably best left to those who have good reason to have them.
Plumb in your new bathroom incorrectly and you might need a new floor/ceiling, wire up your new socket ring badly and you die.

I was just hoping two reds in a cable was a relativly common thing that my books thought unimportant, I can just try different combinations until everything works if its not.

So you'd rather randomly connect different cables together hoping to hit on the right combination than do it properly.

Please give it up now and get an electrician.

You should test this first (with a meter), but it its conventional.

Both reds in a connector block.

Other red in L in security light
Black in N at security light.
Both earths (sleeved) a E in security light.

You should test this first (with a meter), but it its conventional.

Both reds in a connector block.

Other red in L in security light
Black in N at security light.
Both earths (sleeved) a E in security light.

Thank you, thought it would be that, but couldnt understand why the cable needed to be there, unless the earths needed to be joined for some reason, and didnt want to guess.

Probably explains why theres a fourth connector on the block that doesnt go anywhere.

So you'd rather randomly connect different cables together hoping to hit on the right combination than do it properly.
No, I'd rather ask an easily answered question, get the easy answer and fix it, if theres not an easy answer, then I'll call in a professional.

The easy answer is the wrong one.

The right answer is to equip yourself with the appropriate tools and the appropriate knowledge to diagnose and rectify the problem from your own resources, not to blindly follow "insert this wire into that hole" without having a clue as to why.

BAS does have a point, my reply was pure guess work.

You should really test everything before connecting up.
Thats what us electricians have to do.

Mmmmm.

I would've thought that the cable containing two red conductors would be the switch wire (as used many moons ago) and the cable with the red and black conductors would be the supply (prob to an older light fitting that the the security light has replaced).

The other light that isn't working poss takes a live supply from the security light switch wire at the switch itself.

Should only be a five min job to re-instate the supply etc for someone adequately experienced and therefor not worth the risk to yourself and others if you did something wrong.

As you are dealing with outside lighting/power perhaps getting someone in would be a better idea than fiddling innit ;)

Just a thought

When the lamp was torn off the wall did the cable get pulled through the wall as well ? If so then maybe the inner end of that cable was pulled out of the celing rose ( or junction ) box where it connected into the lighting circuit.

If it is the ceiling rose it should be easy to find and fix. But if it is a concealed junction box then you may have to be taking up floor boards.

JB
Usualy I dont mess with electrics, them being complicated and dangerous, but since this had been wired up, I considered it to be within my limits of replacing like with like.
All the cables are now tidied away and the lightsw no longer habnging off the wall, it doesnt work, but its at least safer than it was, and can be fixed when I next get a spark in.
Or ignored for all time.

Bernard
I'd actualy come to the same conclusion, the lamp has pulled something loose.
As far as I'm aware, it is just a ceiling rose, but there may be a junction box as well, the floor boards are planks of wood with a click lock system, I'd either have to remove half the floors upstairs or cut it somehow, and my circ saw would be a bit dangerous in that area.

I might check the rose at some point, I'm a bit busy with the dish washer for now.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back