wireless alarm which one to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i am looking for a wireless alarm can anyone recommend a good one as i have not been into wireless before, but hope you can help pick one thanks bazz, need 3 pir and 2 door contacts system

Sponsored Links
I fitted a Yale HSA6400 to protect a property whilst refurbishing it the alarm was easy to fit and set up. Reading the instructions and viewing the video frightened the life out of me, but like most of these things once you have the system in front of you it's fairly simple.

Remember to fit the bell box somewhere you can get to it with a ladder or from a window safely and easily as you will need to change battries on a regular basis.

Depends on price ! Cheaper end pyronix enforcer wireless or higher spec hybrid system texecom ricochet .

I have used the Yale 6400, it is usually at the best price from Ironmongery Direct. It is quite easy to install, but I would recommend laying out all the parts on the table to learn them in and test them, this is much easier than doing it after they have been screwed in place. you will need tape to hold down the anti-tamper springs. wrap the bell box in pillows and put it in a cupboard as it is very loud.

You will probably get the anti-yale bunch on here telling you that you can get a better alarm if you spend more money and/or buy a wired alarm. How much do you expect to spend?

In my case the wireless was ideal as I was looking after an empty house that was up for sale, and I liked the way it will phone several keyholders in the event of an alarm. It took me about an hour, and I have done some more since. It is a cheap and easy DIY job.

Put the control panel away from the front door, upstairs out of sight but close to a phone socket, so an intruder will not easily see and attack it. If it is in or near your bedroom you cabn set the "Home" setting at night and you will hear it bleep or chime if anyone comes in. The panel also has a loud siren. You can use a keypad accessory near the front door to set and unset it when you go in and out. I like to have to external doors "chime" when opened, this is especially useful if you have small children who might go out onto the road, or if you live in the North where neighbours like to walk into your house without knocking.

You can if you wish have one or more extra sirens. If you have one out of reach inside the house, the loud noise is very disturbing and disorientating for an intruder, and you can set it to sound for 20 minutes.

I found it an advantage to fix the external siren where I could reach it through an upstairs window to change the batteries, though they will last a couple of years. the HSA6400 will display if any of the sensors are running low. Use good quality Alkaline batteries, but not Duracell as they have a small and poor contact. You can buy them in bulk from Maplins. The Lidl ones also score well on test.

Sponsored Links
You will probably get the anti-yale bunch on here telling you that you can get a better alarm if you spend more money ~~~~ It is a cheap and easy DIY job.

It is not being "anti Yale" it is more a case of pointing out the shortcomings that will be found in ALL alarms that use one way communications on a licence exempt radio channel.

Most sales people probably do not know about these shortcomings and the few that do know about them will not mention them to the customer for fear of losing a sale.

Yep strangely while out quoting yesterday I told a customer this.

An alarm will not stop you being burgled if the thief wants to smash and grab. It also depends on what response you get from your neighbours which could be nothing at all.

You cant say fairer than that.

I agree with itshere - an intruder alarm simply tells you when you're being burgled.

However, my boss was talking to a policeman a couple of years ago who said that he'd been out to 600 burglaries that year; 598 didn't have an intruder alarm and the other two were 'isolated country properties'. Nuff said...

An alarm will not stop you being burgled if the thief wants to smash and grab.
Last week the mini supermarket in the village suffered a smash and grab even though there is an alarm system and very good CCTV covering the inside and outside of the shop. By the time people living opposite had responded ( within minutes ) the criminals had gone with a large haul of cigarettes. Hopefully the CCTV will enable them to be identified.

An alarm will not stop you being burgled if the thief wants to smash and grab.
Last week the mini supermarket in the village suffered a smash and grab even though there is an alarm system and very good CCTV covering the inside and outside of the shop. By the time people living opposite had responded ( within minutes ) the criminals had gone with a large haul of cigarettes. Hopefully the CCTV will enable them to be identified.
Even the big chains local supermarket/express branches are suffering a spate of this recently.

I found those of my customers that had alarms fitted had got them after a break in, none had had one since, 'nuff said!

I decided to get one before I joined the statistics!

I'd suggest you look at the Response SL1/SL2. I am on my second one - the first was while living in Spain. While there, armed, masked robbers got into the house in daylight and were about to tie up my wife when I managed to set the alarm off manually, and told them (in pidgin Spanish) that the police were on their way. They quickly left. That's another reason for having an alarm, though not something which happens too often in dear old UK, thank goodness.

One point to watch - whatever you buy, it's worth adding a loud internal sounder; with modern double glazing, an intruder may hardly hear an outside bell on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back