Wireless Alarm - Yale?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have had to rent out my property and move back with my Parents for the time being. The tenants were burgled last week although the circumstances seem rather odd (no obvious entry except maybe through the front door and assumption they left it on the single catch). Anyway the house is a three storey townhouse. To appease their worries and requests I agreed to install an alarm. I can only justify expense on a wireless system. Is the yale a good system, will it cause me a lot of problems like false alarms etc. Is it easy for a tenant to use? Do the batteries need replacing, what type are in the bell box?

In terms on installation where is the best place to install the control panel. I have read some posts that this should be completely out of site as a savy burglar could just damage it before the entry timer has elapsed? In this case what is the best solution. Put the control panel upstairs and then buy the small keypad and keep that downstairs?

Cheers
Raj

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with the Yale Raj, quick easy set up. Google 'ironmongerydirect' there are some good choices there, including systems with diallers, remote keypads and so on. All the information you are likely to need is in the instruction booklet, and you can get a lot more from this site if you need it. Keep us informed.

CD

I have a wireless Yale with 3 door sensors, 2 PIR, one siren and one dummy box. It has an auto dialler to ring my mobile when it goes off too. Fitted it myself with ease (I'm a DIY novice)

Works really well, no false alarms, works when it should though!

I got it from Ironmongery direct too as it happens, best price I could find on the net...

I think from memory the sensor batteries say they last circa 3 years; may have been five?

It has a 'home arm' mode too that makes us feel safe at night!

Edit: forgot to say; pretty certain the Siren takes D Cells.

I can only justify expense on a wireless system.
Surely it will be a tax-deductible Improvement?

no obvious entry except maybe through the front door

Have they changed the lock yet?

If you get a Yale, go for the HSA6400 with the Panel upstairs, and an extra keypad near the front door but out of sight. Set the external doors to "chime" so that the panel bleeps when they are opened. Even if they are careless people who don't lock the door and don't set the alarm.

the HSA6400 can hold three phone no's to call out in the event of an alarm. Use the tenants' mobile numbers or another keyholder who will be close by.

The instructions used to say, use Alkaline batteries, but I would consider Lithium which last a very long time. The cost will not be significant spread over several years. The panel will Log and display which sensor batteries start to get low.

Sponsored Links
^^ that's the one I have.

Door chime is a good feature unless you have a neurotic Cocker Spaniel who barks the house down every time someone goes in/out the door!

Only entry/exit doors can be set to chime too I believe; shouldn't be an issue though as presumably you'd only want your front door to chime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back