wireless alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys could someone point me in the right direction for a good wireless alarm, has a previous wired one but has too many problems with it so looking for a good reliable wireless one please thanks

Sponsored Links
Not an enforcer fan yet and the things pyronix have lined up may change my thinking later this year early next.

Depends on budget and not all homes are suitable for wireless, intereference may be an issue on any wireless system, however some other manufacturers have different frequencies available to help avoid intereference like ricochet has many wireless networks available, when learning it picks the best channel/ network at the time to help avoid potential issues.

Sponsored Links
Not an enforcer fan yet and the things pyronix have lined up may change my thinking later this year early next.

Depends on budget and not all homes are suitable for wireless, intereference may be an issue on any wireless system, however some other manufacturers have different frequencies available to help avoid intereference like ricochet has many wireless networks available, when learning it picks the best channel/ network at the time to help avoid potential issues.

I agree there but with wired had to many issue why am thinking on the wireless ones

however some other manufacturers have different frequencies available to help avoid intereference like ricochet has many wireless networks available,

All DIY systems operate on a licence exempt frequency of which there are very few available. Unless one applies for and is granted a sole use channel then for a domestic wireless alarm one has to use a channel shared by others. A sole use channel will cost a lost of money for the licence.

Some wireless alarms use two way communication which means a sensor will repeat alarm messages until it receives an acknowledgement from the panel. Some do not and if a sensor's alarm message is blocked and does not reach the panel then the alarm will not sound.

however some other manufacturers have different frequencies available to help avoid intereference like ricochet has many wireless networks available,

All DIY systems operate on a licence exempt frequency of which there are very few available. Unless one applies for and is granted a sole use channel then for a domestic wireless alarm one has to use a channel shared by others. A sole use channel will cost a lost of money for the licence.

Some wireless alarms use two way communication which means a sensor will repeat alarm messages until it receives an acknowledgement from the panel. Some do not and if a sensor's alarm message is blocked and does not reach the panel then the alarm will not sound.

Am just looking at all options a friend said about Yale as there a cheap and reliable one but would have to be easy option as wasted time with the last wired one

A properly specified and installed wired alarm will always be more reliable than a wireless alarm.

A wireless alarm can be dis-abled by a determined thief using equipment that can be bought on the internet for under £ 30. Or it can be discredited by false alarms to the point the owner ( under pressure from irritated neighbours ) turns the alarm off.

Wireless alarms are quick to install but that comes at a cost.

Its difficult ricochet has the option to use frequencies around 868 predefined limits and it selects the best network at the time if interference comes into play deleting and relearning the devices uses a different network and can resolve issues.

Two way devices know if communication has taken place but doesnt stop jamming of signal, if jamming is persistant then most decent systems will flag the problem. Jamming signals could be present but not cause a problem because the intereference is short lived and not stopped the system from functioning in x lenght of time..

this is one reason why wireless isnt straight forward, lots of potential sources of intereference.

I recommend a survey for suitability first.

868 is used for lots of things other than alarm panels.
Wireless heating
wireless velux window contol
Wireles stair lift controls
street lights(new ones)
star lifts apparently have wireless controls on 868

I have ricochet in homes with heating controls and velux and no issues.
I have tested ricochet risco and enforcer in the office with wireless heating controls and the new wireless street lights in the vacinity and no problems at all. Yet all potentially can interefere with each other.

But aware of an installer with the enforcer thats had trouble after a new street light install, so its not so straight forward by any means with sources of interference.

868 is used for lots of things other than alarm panels.
Wireless heating
wireless velux window contol
Wireles stair lift controls
street lights(new ones)
star lifts apparently have wireless controls on 868

I have ricochet in homes with heating controls and velux and no issues.
I have tested ricochet risco and enforcer in the office with wireless heating controls and the new wireless street lights in the vacinity and no problems at all. Yet all potentially can interefere with each other.

But aware of an installer with the enforcer thats had trouble after a new street light install, so its not so straight forward by any means with sources of interference.

Being realistic which ever you have wired or wireless if someone wants to get in they will we can only try and prevent it

To be honest I don't fit loads of wireless systems main panels are premiers but had issues with the Texecom wireless equipment , hate VISONIC too American, fitted a few enforcers as I also fit euro minis and they have been 100% trouble free up to now.

To be honest I don't fit loads of wireless systems main panels are premiers but had issues with the Texecom wireless equipment , hate VISONIC too American, fitted a few enforcers as I also fit euro minis and they have been 100% trouble free up to now.

At the moment I will be keep looking at all options

I have a feeling that you are saying Wireless because you want something fairly inexpensive that you can install yourself in an afternoon. Is that right? It can be done, and it's a valid choice, but for more money and more time, you could get something better, if you have the desire and the funds. How much do you want to spend? Have you already done your doors, windows and locks?

I have installed a few wireless systems, when I had the objectives I mention, but in my home and my commercial premises, I have pro wired for business reasons.

It amuses me that the annual maintenance and monitoring charges on each of the pro alarms exceed the total cost of the wireless systems (which have an annual cost of about £6 on batteries).

I have been very happy with the performance of the wireless systems. I have not experienced myself, and have never met anyone who has seen, a wireless system defeated by a determined burglar who jammed it. If you were, for example, a person who keeps a lot of gold at home for public display at family weddings and festivals, you would need a higher level of security, and you would probably get robbed anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back