Wireless broadband weak signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With Plusnet and up until about 2 weeks agoi had the perfect signal.

Now when i sit in the front room on laptop the signal is very weak and speed ranges from 13 Mbps to 65 Mbps sometime losing and regaining connection.
This was never a problem before. I have an xbox 360 set up for xbox live and this works everytime without fail.

If i stand next to the router the signal is excellent, 6 feet away it changes to very good/good. After that its a low signal. This can not be right is it has always been a great signal. Nothing is blocking the way, no major walls etc

Has anyone any tips to try out or advice please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the signal has dropped, or are you inferring that from the fact your download speeds have dropped?

A sudden drop in signal is either a hardware failure, perhaps as simple as a loose antenna on the router, or possibly interference from another wireless device.

Change the channel on the router. Someone else nearby may be on the same channel

Sponsored Links
Is the xbox on ethernet or wifi?

If wifi, then the usb card in the laptop might be up the spout. It happens from time to time. Check the laptop's spec and then google the replacement cost- they are normally very easy to replace

Back