Wireless central heating and domestic hot water controls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floors in my house are sheets of plywood, and to install cables would mean dropping the ceiling, not impossible, but not really some thing I want to do.

My worry is legionnaires, to get DHW in the summer, I set my Nest Gen 3 to turn on boiler three times a week for ½ hour at a time, and it normally runs boiler for 20 minutes before boiler cuts out, and this in the main gives us enough DHW and cheaper than using the immersion heater. However there is no thermostat on the cylinder, so no idea how hot it actually gets, so don't know if it exceeds the 60ºC required or not.

There are three floors in the house, so the C plan works well at heating the DHW, but some better form of control would be desirable. I looked for a wireless tank thermostat, only one I found was a silly price, around £120, and it seems the distance between tank and boiler means it may not work anyway.

Zigbee seems the best option as every device acts as a repeater for others, but working out what I need, is not as easy as I thought, this C-Plan_basic_Nest.jpgis the basic wiring diagram, easy option seems to be add a relay on terminal 6 to stop DHW heating, and increase the summer time, so once water hot enough it will turn off boiler, and sonoff seems to be the most likely make of relay to use, a simple tank stat connected to a sender, that works a relay by the boiler, but just can't seem to work out which three units would work best, there is mains at the tank, but a battery unit would be easier.

So open to suggestions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back