Central Heating Controller - changing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, :D
I've currently got an old gas boiler with a hot water tank in the airing cupboard. There's a controller on the front of the boiler and a thermostat on a ground floor wall.
I'd like to upgrade the control system either with a wall mounted programmer, or a wireless system with 2 zone control.
The current thermostat has a 4 wire connection, with one live feed.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on what works best, one of the above options or maybe adding TRVs to my rads in the rooms where I want better temperature control.
Thanks,
P.J.

Sponsored Links
Allegedly, the current standard for CH system installs recommends TRV's and a wall stat. As for which system works best IDNK.

Sponsored Links
Thermostatic valves in each room probably works best in theory.

In practice, it relies on people adjusting them properly. Does anyone? I have a two-zone system which heats either downstairs or both upstairs and downstairs. This saves wasting heat in the bedrooms when no one is using them. We don't bother much with the wall thermostat. Tend to just move it a bit if it is cold or hot and it stays there for a while.

I reckon fitting a thermostatic valve instead of just a plain one is a good idea even if you do not use it often. Only problem is they have a definite lifespan. Remember some radiators must have just plain valves and remain 'on', to always allow the pump somewhere to send the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back