Wireless Email (Access Attachment)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A work coleague has a laptop (running xp home) all works ok when pluged into the company network. Ie can send & receive emails
When it is used ‘wireless’ he can send an email without attachments & emails from excell
If he tries to send an Access Report (1 page)by email when wireless, it is asking for a printer to be installed.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome (keeping to topic would be nice)

Sponsored Links
Is he wireless on his work network or working from home?

Also how is he exporting the Access report e.g. HTML RTF or is he trying to email a .mdb file - This type of file may get blocked over a network. Could try renaming the extension. :D

I would guess renaming the file suffix would work, but for a different reason.

I would suggest that the file type (probably .MAR) is being recognised by Windows as a printable format and hence requires a printer driver to be installed and active. When he connects to the network at work, he probably implicitly connects to a network printer, so there is no problem. When running wireless, I suspect that there will be no printer attached and hence the problem occurs.

Another solution might be to install a Windows printer to LPT1 or USB1. Even though not physically connected, it might get around the problem.

This is just an educated guess by the way and could be complete *******s :D

Doc Lenny

Is he wireless on his work network or working from home?

Also how is he exporting the Access report e.g. HTML RTF or is he trying to email a .mdb file - This type of file may get blocked over a network. Could try renaming the extension.
When I said wireless Im mean mobile 3G etc.
Trying to send it as RTF.

I have also set the printer as LPT1 Generic.

Still not sending, but thanks for the ideas

Sponsored Links
You might want to look at what program opens RTF files by default. It is usually WORD.

Or try exporting in a different Format such as HTML.

:)

Thanks for ideas, Its sorted now.
A generic printer was added, but it must be set as default, rather than point to it when sending.

Back