Wireless inside house

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have broadband to my home pc. Usually there is only only PC in the house. At the moment there are two in use. What would I have to do to provide wireless access to the other? Running some kind of cable would be awkward but not impossible. What sort of cost are we talking about? I don't know where to start, have never been interested before.

Sponsored Links
Hiya!

In order to provide wireless access to one or more PC's you would need to install some kind of wireless access point. These come in two basic flavours. A lot of internet routers (that's the bit you plug into the phone line via the line filter) have wireless built in. If yours doesn't then you can buy a separate independant wireless access point that will plug into one of the spare network ports on your router. Whether you do it via wireless integrated into the router or by a separate WAP you will need to configure the wireless settings in the unit and include a suitably secure wireless key to prevent other people from hi-jacking your internet connection.

With regard to security there are several different protocols. Simple rule is avoid WEP and go for WPA if at all possible. It is far more secure!

If your current broadband router plugs into your PC using a USB connection then it is not likely to support wireless. You could potentially use one PC with a wireless card in to provide wireless connection to the other but that gets messy to set up. If this is the kind of router you have then I would suggest buying a new wireless ADSL router and using just that. Most of them come with software to help you configure them now and are fairly intuitive to configure and use.

Once the router is set and you have added a wireless card to the PC's (most laptops have wireless built in now) you will be able to see the wireless network and connect to it using the security key that you put into the router.

Routers typically cost something around £60 - £80 and wireless cards for the PC about £20.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

with 2 PCs sounds like it will cost me £100 or so. Not keen.

At the moment I have a Virgin TV set-top-box but they are converting me to some other kind of modem at the end of the month. I'd better see what the new one is like before splashing out.

Phone Virgin and demand they send you a wireless router. They give them free to new customers anyway. If they refuse then just say your thinking of switching to Sky as their new customers all get wireless routers too.

They'll soon come round ;)

Don't get persuaded into paying for it. After all you are a long time customer and they've had loads of money out of you over the years etc etc

Sponsored Links
That makes good sense! Also, depending on the router, one of the PC's could still plug straight into it if the location is OK. That way you only have to set one up for wireless so it would only cost about £20 for one wireless card.

If you can run cat5e. It's cheaper, faster, reliable and easier to fault find.

You can pickup a 10m cable for £3.24 from toolstation.

Back