wifi dingle-dongles

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Virgin gave me a wireless router, and it has been quite handy for my smartphone. I have only used hard-wired PC before. What do I need to get if I intend moving the PC around the house and using the wireless?

Internal card or a USB thing?

Is wifi as fast as the broadband that feeds it?

Sponsored Links
Your broadband speed is probably around 10mbps or less. Wifi is 54mbps or faster. The limiting factor there is your broadband connection speed, not your wifi speed.
Generally PCI wireless is superior to USB. However, it does depend on the make and model of each.

Your broadband speed is probably around 10mbps or less. Wifi is 54mbps or faster. The limiting factor there is your broadband connection speed, not your wifi speed.

Quoting numbers such as 54Mbps is very misleading. You will never achieve such throughput with 802.11g. In reality you're lucky to manage 25Mbps, typically 20Mbps or less. 802.11n at 2.4GHz can be faster, but still nowhere near the much published maximum data rates of 300Mbps and higher.

what's the correct name for the thing I'm looking for?

Novatech is local to me so I usually get stuff there. Unless Tesco have it cheaper.

Sponsored Links
@ monkeh i was just showing that the maximum load of a wireless dongle is usually much higher than the output from the isp.
also that is a nice piece of tech.

Back