wireless networking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to network 2 computers that are wirelessly connected to the same modem router. Does it matter that one of them (a laptop) is sometimes connected to a LAN with a 3rd computer?

Sponsored Links
How much have you already achieved and how computer literate are you?

I haven't started yet as I didn't want to balls it up. I am fiarly computer literate, I think I just need a few pointers, as it is something I have never tried before.

It would take a very long post to go through it all in detail, so start by getting come kit.

First you need to buy some kit and I would recommend you buy Linksys. Get a combined modem/router/switch with a built in firewall and WPA encryption. This might be a good bundle for you. I'm assuming you have ADSL, but you will need a cable router if using NTL or Telewest.

You will also need a card for your laptop, unless it already has wireless capability. This will match the above.

If you have a big property with lots of walls, you can add one of these to increase the range.

Install the kit as per instructions.

You will need to program the router with Internet, network and encryption details, but we can cover that later when you come to set up.

The laptop can connect to other wireless networks. You can maintain a list of preferred networks for automatic connection when in range.

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Sponsored Links
I already have all the hardware up and running. I just need to configure the computers to network with each other.

So both machines are currently connected to the router and have ip addresses on the same subnet (preferably assigned by the router)?

If so, your network is running. Can you ping each machine successfully?

Assuming Windows XP, run the network wizard on each machine, assign the same workgroup name (default MSHOME for XP) and set Internet for LAN.

Once you have done this, you should be able to see the machines in network neighborhood. Also, if you have a Windows firewall on your network adaptor, you will probably have to turn it off as it will prevent file sharing. Hopefully, your router has a good firewall.

Thanks for this, I will try it tomorrow. Is Norton Internet Security a good enough firewall?

It's possible for any software firewall to cause you problems if they are not configured correctly or if they just want to be difficult. Leave the firewall off until you have the network running.

Sponsored Links
Back