wireless networks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BTOpenzone

BTFON

What are these two wireless networks? They both appear as unsecured wireless networks on my laptop. There are no commercial premises nearby with free wireless, and I havent spotted these two networks before. Where could they be eminating from?

Sponsored Links
BT open zone is a commercial wireless access point (IE, MacDonald's, etc.)

BTFON is a service BT use to let members of there contracts to open up there Internet access point, to then allow it to be accessible by any one with in range.

correct me if i a wrong but this is my understanding.

Out of interest would a BT payphone box in the 21st century contain an access point of either of the flavours above? There is one about 300yds away. Signal is showing as poor on my laptop, 2 out of 5 bars.

possibly...

see if there's a sticker on the telephone box which says something about WAP or WiFi or open zone etc...

Sponsored Links
very odd. i just searched online, both openzone and BTFON's websites.

theres an openzone access point in starbucks, Doncaster town centre, 2 miles away. there are none closer, unless its just not listed online.

i searched BTFON and theres apparently about 40 people sharing under this scheme within half a mile of my house. :eek: One of them has my postcode! It doesnt give exact adresses though.

Back