Wireless router troubles-nightmare-help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reading, and hopefully I can get some help here.

I recently took on a disaster of a router-DVR-Security system and could use some help.

I will answer questions as i go along because I'm not sure what info is needed to help me solve my problem.

The set up.

Activa router-wireless, DVR, and some security camera's.

I am trying to login in wirelessly so I can get the Q-see camera's working. I did not install the system it was just handed over to me to get working.

When i go to my wireless network to view all, I can see the router. When i try to put in the passphrase given to me (it's 26 letters/numbers) it is too long for the given space.

What i want to do is a master reset and start over.

How can i do this?

It's set up for WEP encryption, but I may switch to WPA or WPA2

Is there a tuturial anywhere for doing this for a DIY'er?

What I want to do is be able to remotely watch the camera's from my house 400 feet away. is this possible at all? And what needs to be added for this to work?

There will be a high speed cable internet connection installed soon. Will there need to be another computer added at location (A) or can I just piggyback the router and watch at the house?

Thanks so much.

SXR

Sponsored Links
1. Often the space for a password is just a small space. Doesn't mean it cannot accommodate the password. It usually just scrolls along as you type it in....just double check that
2. Usually routers have a factory reset button on the back which you press in with a pen for upto 30 seconds. BUT you'd need the factory default username/password to get into it.
3. Are you wanting to log into the DVR wirelessy from 400ft away? If so, only a Draft N router with a draft N card installed in the remote pc will give you that.
4. A lot of routers will not allow wireless access to the admin page, only wired. If you do perform a factory reset (see note 2), then make sure that if there is a setting for wireless admin that its set to 'allow'.
5. If/once the high speed cable internet has been installed, then you basically access it remotely from the internet. But you'll need to configure the firewall at the DVR end to allow access, most likely via port forwarding on the router. So you type in the public ip of the router into your address bar with a port no. The router will then forward that port to the relevent port on the network (to the dvr).

Hope some of this helps.

1. Often the space for a password is just a small space. Doesn't mean it cannot accommodate the password. It usually just scrolls along as you type it in....just double check that
2. Usually routers have a factory reset button on the back which you press in with a pen for upto 30 seconds. BUT you'd need the factory default username/password to get into it.
3. Are you wanting to log into the DVR wirelessy from 400ft away? If so, only a Draft N router with a draft N card installed in the remote pc will give you that.
4. A lot of routers will not allow wireless access to the admin page, only wired. If you do perform a factory reset (see note 2), then make sure that if there is a setting for wireless admin that its set to 'allow'.
5. If/once the high speed cable internet has been installed, then you basically access it remotely from the internet. But you'll need to configure the firewall at the DVR end to allow access, most likely via port forwarding on the router. So you type in the public ip of the router into your address bar with a port no. The router will then forward that port to the relevent port on the network (to the dvr).

Hope some of this helps.

I thank you for your assistance so far. I am going to work towards the option of remote access.

If I find there is a problem with the physical components do you recommend a security system that might work?

SXR

Sponsored Links
Update-

I was able to view the DVR live feed recording video. But only when I connect via USB cable.

I still can not connect to the viewing program wirelessly.

The WEP passphrase I have is 26 numbers/letters long. But the space seems too small to accept all the numbers.

Is there a way to reset the WEP and create my own?

What i would like to do is a master reset if possible.

Rename the router SSID and create a new passphrase.

How would I do that? Activa 54g router.

SXR

Thank you, But sadly I still can't find a default password/reset.

RouterPasswords.com also does not list Activa.

Ativa

But it too, is not listed on RouterPasswords.com

I'm gonna try switching to a Linksys router next.

Have you downloaded the user manual from the link in my earlier post?

You can reset the router and then connect to it using a patch cable and configure it to suit your needs, ther is no password for admin when the router leaves the factory.

Nick.

Ok, I tried everything and i still can't connect wirelessly.

I can connect if I use a Cat5 cable.

And it says connected to that wire less name, but when i got to view the DVR video I continue to get an unknown error.

Is there a step by step how to connect wireless to a DVR from a router?

Sponsored Links
Back