Wireless solution for recliner sofa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is an appliance/electrical query...

We are moving to a new house and are going to have our recliner sofa in the middle of the room. So we will need to stretch the electrical supply across the room to a power point... i'm concerned the kids could trip on it.... is there a wireless solution that means i can get electric to the sofa but not have the cable direct to the power supply?

I'm thinking... there are wireless solutions for mobile phones... is there something similar for bigger appliances!!?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Controls can be wireless, but power cannot be wireless unless you are prepared to have batteries fitted into the chair

Sponsored Links
Good ideas! I'll have to check when we move in if it is a concrete floor or timber.

Care is needed when deciding where to fit a floor socket. This one is for a TV is protected from being walked on by the treads of the spiral staircase. ( photo taken before aerial and other cables were tidied up )

23520-239329c275e768c0f8489affbe27672e.jpg

Also consider supplying a floor socket from a double pole switched fuse to enable full isolation of the socket if ( or when ) it get damaged or has liquid spilt on it.

Probably not in a domestic environment, but another solution could be a supply cable dropped down from the ceiling.

My chairs have a transformer/power supply with two PP3 batteries which are designed to allow one use of chair with a power cut. So it would seem they don't use that much power, since lead acid batteries are damaged by being left discharged for an extended time the likely best option would be a lithium drill battery.

However a cost is the problem, a pair of 1.2 Ah 12 volt batteries likely around £16, the chargers also around £16 each, so looking at around £50 and really need to double up on batteries so could be looking at £75. Depending on how often used.

My mobility scooter has two 35 Ah batteries also 24 volt and I have found some battery chargers at £12 so it is possible. But the scooter is recharged after each use, the same with a chair lift, a pair of 7 Ah batteries work the stair lift, but again recharged after each use. I would say one week is about the limit with lead acid.

A PP9 rechargeable Li-ion battery is around £30 and often not 9 volt even when spec says they should be, so likely the best option is an old 18 volt drill so you have the charger designed for the battery.

It seems some chairs have a ready made unit see here spec says 3 hours to charge and one month use.

You give no details for your chair.

Hi

This is an appliance/electrical query...

We are moving to a new house and are going to have our recliner sofa in the middle of the room. So we will need to stretch the electrical supply across the room to a power point... i'm concerned the kids could trip on it.... is there a wireless solution that means i can get electric to the sofa but not have the cable direct to the power supply?

I'm thinking... there are wireless solutions for mobile phones... is there something similar for bigger appliances!!?

Thanks!
No that is not an option for you, However a lot will depend on the motor, We recently purchased a riser/recliner armchair for Father in law which came with a 15V 1A power supply. Assuming the motor doesn't draw more than that, a 4AH battery will theoretically allow 4 hours (240 minutes) of movement - assuming each movement lasts 1 minute and happens say 8 times per day that amounts to 30 days use.
I recently looked at Lidl 18V drill etc batteries and chargers for a portable CCTV project. IIRC the charger @ £20, 2AH battery @ £15 (or both together @ £25) & 4AH battery @ £20. If appropriate for your sofa I'd certainly look at investing £45 for charger and 2 batteries, that will be about the cost of parts to install a floor socket and won't result in a big hole in the floor for when you rearrange the room.

EDIT: I started writing before lunch then my daughter popped in etc. Eric beat me to it.

My chairs have a transformer/power supply with two PP3 batteries which are designed to allow one use of chair with a power cut. So it would seem they don't use that much power, since lead acid batteries are damaged by being left discharged for an extended time the likely best option would be a lithium drill battery.

I suspect most electric recliners will use 240v ac motor drives, rather than dc. My recliner sofa certainly uses ac, as did a recliner chair we used to have in the kitchen.

I suspect most electric recliners will use 240v ac motor drives, rather than dc. My recliner sofa certainly uses ac, as did a recliner chair we used to have in the kitchen.
I've only dealt with 2 and both aimed at elderly/infirm, the first was very old with a pair of wacking great big and heavy 30V DC motors and mains transformer (maybe 200VA) with a pair of stud diodes. control was 2 buttons on the front of each arm for rise up & down and recline up& down. I expected something similar with this new chair just before Christmas. However there is a metal bar across the gubbins containing the motors and 'in-line' SMPS as stated earlier is 15V 1A and very small with a twin flex and moulded 13A plug 'in' and 'out' is a short length of thin fig 8 flex to an ELV connector.

As I wrote earlier
If appropriate for your sofa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back