Wireless Stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My (Very) elderly father would like a wireless thermostat fitted to control his central heating as the programmer is upstairs in the airing cupboard & the boiler is in the garage which has an external frost stat fitted next to it, there is no room thermostat in the house itself as the temp is controlled via a dial on the boiler, he doesn't want to have floorboards up etc but would like a wireless stat if its pretty straight forward.
My question is would the wirless stat(the reciever) have to be connected via the frost stat?
The boiler is a Glowworm Ultimate

Sponsored Links
Best place to put receiver would be in airing cupboard, if the wiring centre is located there. You can use the 240v mains supply from w/centre to power the receiver and the 2 switching connections on receiver will normally interrupt the 'ch on' live wire from programmer to wiring centre.

If installing receiver in airing cupboard, you need to observe the minimum distance from hw cylinder as locating it too close to metal objects can interfere with signal.

I would recommend the new Drayton Mistat, as it has a large, clear, backlit display and can be wall or table mounted.

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/mi-series-mi-stat-room/

Many thanks, i will have to check the distances as the programmer is in a cupboard alongside the tank, pump, pipework etc,
If it cant go in there do you think the receiver can go in the garage & connect into the same terminals as the frost stat on the boiler PCB?
getting power to the unit wouldn't be problem either as the cable can be surface run if its in the garage.
(providing the distance between the receiver & stat are ok)

Sponsored Links
You should be able to leave the Frost stat as it is and just wire the volt free switch on the receiver in to the boilers thermostat connections. With your fused spur nearby the boiler you should also be able to power the receiver off that or probably direct to L,N,E terminals in the boiler.

If the garage wall affects range could you pop the wiring through the wall and mount the receiver in the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back