Wireless Thermostat Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house with underfloor heating driven by a geothermal heat exchanger, divided into 2 zones - living area and bedroom area. The living area is controlled by a simple Honeywell thermostat fixed to an outside wall. We keep the system running all the time, controlled purely by this thermostat, set to 22C. Unfortunately, in cold weather the thermostat struggles to reach this temperature, probably because of poor insulation in the wall, so the room temperature often climbs to 24C or higher before the thermostat shuts off the system. So I want to fit a wireless thermostat. However, the current Honeywell is battery driven, and only has wiring to turn the heat exchanger on and off, and there is no mains power nearby. So far, all the wireless thermostat I have looked at have receivers that need mains power, which would involve channelling the wall. Any suggestions of makes that have battery driven receivers??

Sponsored Links
If you buy a wireless thermostat, the base unit is hard wired but the other bit has batteries and can be placed anywhere so no channeling required.

That's the problem - I want to put the base unit where the Honeywell currently is, so I can simply connect the wires already there to control the heat exchanger. But as I said, there's no mains nearby, so I need a base unit run off batteries! Do they exist??

That's the problem - I want to put the base unit where the Honeywell currently is, so I can simply connect the wires already there to control the heat exchanger. But as I said, there's no mains nearby, so I need a base unit run off batteries! Do they exist??
Is the heat exchanger a ground source heat pump or do you actually have geothermal activity where you live and are using the heat from that? Surely in either case there are controls and that is where the thermostat wires go back to?

Sponsored Links
Yes, I could go back to wire things at the heat exchanger, but was hoping not to get into all of that. Unfortunately, that may be the only solution. It's a ground source system BTW.

However, will check out the Nest E first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back