Wireless Thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Are wireless thermostats any good. I have a wired set-up works really well but having to move timer. Rewiring bit difficult. It has been suggested to go for wireless programmable thermostat. Looked at salus and Siemens both same price wise but Siemens seem to be better in functions but I am not sure if they are any good. let me have your input.

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough, I'm having a problem with my Worcester Bosch DT10RF wireless optimising progammable thermostat (looks like a rebadged Drayton) I installed last year.

The signal is periodically lost and I'm not sure why - it could be due to the fact that the boiler is in a utility room which is separated from the house by a brick cavity wall and my downstairs walls are all brick, meaning that the signal has to pass through 3 layers of brick and approx. 10m to get to the thermostat in the dining room.

If I move the thermostat into the utility room, then it doesn't lose signal.

I'm hoping that new batteries will cure the problem, otherwise I'm going to have to relocate the thermostat to the kitchen (not ideal due to other sources of heat) or utility room (single storey so a colder room, plus not exactly handy for temp/program adjustment)

I guess what I'm saying is that you might want to consider the distance involved and any walls that might weaken the signal. I turned down the chance to re-use an existing wired connection (in favour of a more advanced type of 'optimising' wireless thermostat) and I'm starting to regret it !

Clear path and no conflict of wireless frequency use and it will probably work OK

But if any other radio source on that frequency ( or an image frequency) comes along and the thermostat may become " disconnected" from the boiler control.

Most manufacturers give about 15M clear line of sight for the working range.

I've had this drop to around 6M in one case in an ancient property with massive thick walls, about 2ft.

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Are wireless thermostats any good. I have a wired set-up works really well but having to move timer. Rewiring bit difficult. It has been suggested to go for wireless programmable thermostat. Looked at salus and Siemens both same price wise but Siemens seem to be better in functions but I am not sure if they are any good. let me have your input.

Hi all

Thank you all very much. I have got the message. I favour wired set-up that's what I am going for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back