Wiring a cooker

Sponsored Links
Read label on oven and it says it has a load of 2.9kW and I think the mains is 230V.

From physics I recall that P=IV => I = P/V => I = 2900/230 => I = 12.61A

Would I not get away with a 13A fuse on a plug, which is plugged into the cooker socket, which in turn is on its own circuit connected to a fuse box with a trip switch? The existing flex cable is 4mm flex with 10A fuse, which is connected to the existing oven which also has a 2.9kW load. Could I not just use that and connect it to the new cooker and put a 13A fuse in?

I used to be an apprentice spark years ago [not all knowledge is gone, just most] and can tell by the size of the cable that it is about 4mm. Pretty sure if I measured it I would be right.

Sponsored Links
From physics I recall that P=IV => I = P/V => I = 2900/230 => I = 12.61A
Where did you find 2900W?

From the linked instructions:
upload_2015-12-11_19-37-57.png

3350 / 230 = 14.57A. Hence the requirement for a 16A minimum.

You's struggle to get 2.5mm2 flex into a 13A plug, let alone 4mm2. Do you mean the cores are 4mm diameter?

My mistake EFL, the load you linked is the correct one, I must have read the wrong pdf as I had been looking at a few.

@stillp - The core of the flex looks like 4mm.

Anyway it looks like I will need to bite to bullet and get an electrician to install which is unfortunate as do not have much money because it is Xmas.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Get an oven that can be plugged into a 13amp socket, like your current oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back