Wiring a dimmer switch - confused with existing wiring?

Thinking about it, for some reason these fancy type fittings tend to contain torroidal wire wound transformers, instead of the electronic type trannies.

You can not dim wire wound trannies with a standard dimmer. You need an inductive dimmer for this to work.

I have found an IQ intelligent dimmer switch in the same style as yours.
This is suitable for use with both electonic and wirewound trannies, as well as all standard lighting loads. (It's not cheap though)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND22BC.html

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Therefore sounds like the transformer used is not suitable for dimming. Hence the clanking.

TTC

Looks like no dimmers for me!

Thanks for all your help on this!!!!!!!!!!

RF Lighting said:
Thinking about it, for some reason these fancy type fittings tend to contain torroidal wire wound transformers, instead of the electronic type trannies.

You can not dim wire wound trannies with a standard dimmer. You need an inductive dimmer for this to work.

I have found an IQ intelligent dimmer switch in the same style as yours.
This is suitable for use with both electonic and wirewound trannies, as well as all standard lighting loads. (It's not cheap though)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND22BC.html[/QUOTE]

For some reason I missed this post?! Have you seen these types of switches in white (will save me changing all the switches in my house)?

Thanks a lot for your help - especially on how to wire the switch up!

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Yep, the white dimmer you linked to is the same. I olny linked to the flat plate chrome one as you first picture looked like that to me :D

Taylortwocities said:
Therefore sounds like the transformer used is not suitable for dimming. Hence the clanking.

TTC
Probably a big heavy toroidal Tx. If the OP likes his fitting, maybe he could get an electronic replacement! ;)

EDIT: apologies, didn't see the second page :evil: :LOL:

Thanks for your help...... I've ordered the one from 1stopelectrics!

I will probably be asking for more help to wire up these ones!

Told you........ can someone tell me how to wire this switch up please?

It is different to the original dimmer I purchased as is has - L1, L2 & C?

DSC00871.jpg

Thanks a lot![/img]

As the wires are all brown, get an indelible pen and mark each wire
I
II
III
IIII
to correspond with RF's diagram, then you'll know where u are in case they mix themselves up. (Brown wires are famous for moving themselves around when nobody is watching. I think they must have been cross bred with car keys sometime in the past).

Again thanks for everyones help!

But the buzzing (no way as bad) is still there from the dimmer and the lights! Looks like who ever designed tham didn't like dimmers! Thanks homebase! :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back