wiring a dol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cant find the old thread i started!

recently purchased an old dewalt planer thicknesser, which is 240volt. The guy who sold it to me said the capacitor needed replacing. Having opened it up i found he had also disconnected the wiring to the starter and a few bits were missing etc.

Ive replaced the capacitor and having wired it up to bypass the starter it does work. Ive now bought a replacement, but im a bit confused since it came with no wiring diagrams.

Basically i have a live neutral and earth from the suppl and likewise for the load going out. WHich goes where, and whats confusing me more is where do teh two black jumpers connect to? one comes from the terminal 13NO and the other comes from the red off button.

Ive seen a similar post on another site a few years old which appears to show a similar dol, but with a thermal overload relay in there as well. The jumper wires appear to go to that in the picture. The original dol didnt have one in it, but the box containing the capacitor does have a reset button.

So in short do i need a thermal overload relay, and if so, what size ampage do i need. If not, what do i do with the jumper wires?

many thanks for helping out a confused idiot.

Sponsored Links
what protects the incoming supply?

What voltage is the contactor coil?

Looks like the black wire to red button wants to be in a contact terminal with the incoming live. The black from the n/o would either go to the A1 or a n/c on an o/l, if required.

What is the power of the connected load?

do you have a telephone number for an electrician?

sounds like the last question may be the most pertinent then!

Sponsored Links
its bloody annoying me though as i hate things i cant work out!

I know what you mean, i'm the same. But you run the risk of blowing something up if you get this wrong. Replacing the burnt bits would cost more than a spark to fit it for you.

You have no overload in that DOL starter. I assume you only want it for the no volt release and not to portect the motor? The black links are to connect into the overload when fitted. Just join these together if you do not fit an overload.

Mains in the top, load out the bottom. Earth together in a terminal block.

What voltage is the contactor? Check it is 240v.

I drew a pic for someone some while back which will likely help, although not identical.

1248963816.png

how bizarre i pulled that picture up from another site last night!

Yes its correct there is no overload in the dol starter, it didnt have one in the original. Ive attached a photo of the box containing teh capacitor and the motor protector

now ive got confused by the other replies!

so keeping it simple fill in the blanks for me

SUpply live goes to

Supply neutral goes to

Live load goes to

Neutral load goes to

(ive got the earth bit sussed dont worry chaps!)

The black jumper from 13 goes to

the black jumper from teh red switch goes to

or are thses both wired together?

Can you just confirm that the coil within the contactor is rated at 240v and not 415v?

The retaining contact is usually part of the green button on most DOL starters - not in this guys case though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back