wiring a electric oven advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my oven has packed up and have got a new one same spec/manufacturer (neff)

old one b1421n1cgb/07
new one b14m42n3gb/04

the old one is wired with 3 core 1.5mm and is wired :

back of oven to plug socket-plug socket to fcu -fcu to consumer unit 30amp breaker for cooker(oven)
I have read the manual and it states H05 V V-F cable ? (european)

spec of oven both

240v
50 hz
2.8kw

2800/240=11.66 amps

3 core 1.5mm has a rating of 16amps or should it be 3 core 2.5mm

i did have trouble with the old one tripping every so often this was installed when the house was rewired by a qualified electrician

I would like to know if the current wiring is correct to accommodate new

please note always use a qualified electrician who is part p registered

Sponsored Links
the old one is wired with 3 core 1.5mm ...
2800/240=11.66 amps ... 3 core 1.5mm has a rating of 16amps or should it be 3 core 2.5mm
You appear to have answered your own question - 1.5mm² is adequate (even 1.25mm² theoretically would be).

Kind Regards, John

the manufacturer technical instructions are not the best states H05 V V-F for cable

other ovens of same kw state use minimum 2.5mm 3 core to 13amp socket/spur

the manufacturer technical instructions are not the best states H05 V V-F for cable
Fairf enough -0 but that is merely a specification of the type of cable, not it's size.
other ovens of same kw state use minimum 2.5mm 3 core to 13amp socket/spur
Manufacturers of appliances say all sorts of things about what cable (and other things) is required, and you might feel constrained to 'obey' them. However, in electrical terms, 1.5mm² cable is more than enough (as I said, 1.25mm² would actually do) when the cable is protected by a 13A fuse in a plug and/or FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
har_wire_coding-icl.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back