Wiring a fleurescent light into a ceiling rose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I replacing my old fluorescent kitchen light with new one, however I can't work out the wiring for it.

In the light ceiling mount is a 3 screw terminal block (L,N,E) which connects to the Earth and ballast/tubes L and N terminals.

From the ceiling I have 3 sets of 2 core (+earth) wire. Two of the earth's were pre wired (in one shield case), so i know these are the from (the livingroom) supply and too (the bathroom) supply.
The third 2 core cable is just for the light switch.

With only 3 connectors in the terminal block and no switch terminal, I can not work out how to wire it up.
Does anyone know how to wire into the terminal block with this configuration?

Oh and before you ask, I didn't get to see the old wiring before the light was taken down by my plasterer but that one also has the same 3 terminal block connector and that definitely worked.

Sponsored Links
Replace the block with a suitable (15A) one with four terminals instead of three. It then proceeds to be obvious.

Thanks guys,

I can sub the 3 terminal for a 4 terminal block I guess, it is just strange that the old light fitting that i have still, only has the same style 3 terminal block.
Do you know if this is a common occurance in flourescent light fittings?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how you light worked before unless there was/is a terminal block in the switch containing neutrals (check to make sure there isn't)

- but when replacing a ceiling rose you have the live loop (which should include a live to the switch) pop that into either the four block or just add one block and put it in there.

You have a neutral loop - stick that in the N.
You have an earth loop - you know where that goes
You have a blue/black cable (with red or brown sleeve) coming from the switch - known as switch live - put that in L.

If you do have a neutral block in the switch backplate then you need to wire it differently.

The switch looks like every other switch i have seen, so i don't think it has a terminal block in it. (just the two core connecting to the + - on the switch and the earth obviously on the case.

I will try and wire this up as you described with the extra block.

Thanks riveralt

folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back