Wiring a halogen transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a track lighting system via an existing loop. The transformer is not earthed, does this complicate the installation?

Sponsored Links
worryenot said:
I am looking to install a track lighting system via an existing loop. The transformer is not earthed, does this complicate the installation?

Obviously, for us, there is a lack of information about the installation.

Is there a danger of being electrocuted. And, is the transformer supposed to be earthed, or is it double insulated and hence doesn't require earthing.

I have found that most halogen lighting systems and transformers you would by from retailers (e.g. screwfix/B&Q etc) are double insulated and so do not need earth connection. If there is no earth connection there and nothing in the instructions then it is designed that way.

Sponsored Links
Look for the Class II or double insulated symbol, a square within a square.

If it has this, no earth is required, or indeed should be connected, as it could make the installation unsafe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back