Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,

I have just installed a Honeywell 6360B thermostat in the following way:

Earth = BLUE
3 = YELLOW
1 = RED

However the heat indicator isn't working and the wiring diagrams supplied by Honeywell are contradictory.

I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me how to wire this thermostat up correctly so that the heat indicator actually works!

Sponsored Links
Doesnt matter what colours your wires are, you need;
Switched Live feed to terminal 1
Switched live return to terminal 3
Neutral to terminal 2
These should be 230v ac

Thanks guys. So in effect all i need to do is to take the wire out of the earth terminal and put it in terminal 2 and the heat indicator will work? Doesn't the thermostat need to be earthed?

Sponsored Links
It is double insulated, doesnt require an earth. Honeywell provide an earth terminal for 'external wiring continuity'.

It does need a neutral connection, simply swapping a wire in the stat will NOT work and could be dangerous. You will need to check and rewire the stat at BOTH ends, mrgas has stated the correct connections.

O.K. but aren't they both essentially saying the same thing?

Earth = N/A
2 = BLUE
3 = YELLOW
1 = RED

If you connect the blue to terminal 2 in the stat where is the other end connected to? If this is earthed at other end you will blow something....

You need to ascertain connections at both ends of the cable, and reconnect accordingly. What type of system do you have?

Nor will it be the last!
You can not assume anything with heating control wiring.
As stated you need to check both ends and be able to use a multimeter.

I've been searching the site in an attempt to clarify this and the threads which i have read all seem to be saying the same thing:

Red = 1
Blue = 2
Yellow = 3

I've added a photo of the wiring diagram from the inside of the thermostat cover. This appears to be the correct version.

You can find the photo at the bottom left of the page at the following link: //www.diynot.com/network/i8diy

I would be very grateful if anyone would care to take a look at it and advise me whether the above layout is correct.

If you connect the blue to terminal 2 in the stat where is the other end connected to? If this is earthed at other end you will blow something....

You need to ascertain connections at both ends of the cable, and reconnect accordingly. What type of system do you have?
I would agree with this if the OP had said that the boiler is not working; but all he says is that the indicator light is not working. From this we can deduce that terminals 1 (live) and 3 (switched live) are correctly wired. This just leaves the blue wire to be connected and this is obviously the neutral (and I'm not assuming that from the colour) - unless someone can suggest another reason for having a third wire.

Why would connecting a neutral to earth blow something? They should be at the same potential.

My understanding of electrics is not vast, but I wouldn't think swapping the blue to the neutral terminal on the stat would be ok IF the blue was connected to earth at the other end. Maybe it would blow anything but hardly good practice I would think?

Thanks for your continued help with this guys.

I can confirm that the boiler is working perfectly well. The thermostat is also working. In fact the only thing that isn't working is the heat indicator, which would presumably indicate that it isn't wired correctly.

So back to my original question, does the wiring diagram here: //www.diynot.com/network/i8diy confirm that the correct way to wire this particular thermostat is:

EARTH = No wire
1 = RED
2 = BLUE
3 = YELLOW

If you connect the blue as a neutral to terminal 2 on the stat, then to a neutral at the other end, be this a junction box, wiring centre or the boiler, then it should work as expected!

I have the T6360 without a lamp, wiring diagram in front of me. Mine is connected to a Y plan system, wired with 3 core and earth cable, L to terminal 1, neutral to 2 and switched live (call for heat) to 3.

Hope this helps.

If you connect the blue as a neutral to terminal 2 on the stat, then to a neutral at the other end, be this a junction box, wiring centre or the boiler, then it should work as expected!

But how do i find out where the blue wire emerges at the other end? It disappears into the wall behind the thermostat and i'm not sure where it re-emerges!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back