Wiring a kinetic switch in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After considering a few options regarding our [light] pull cord switch in our bathroom (which I am refurbishing presently), I opted for a kinetic switch so I could hopefully ditch the pull cord all together.

I should clarify that my knowledge of electrics is generally replacing like for like so light fittings, sockets etc. Therefore if this is out of the scope of DIY let me know...however would obviously like to do it myself if I can and seems like it should be doable.

What I have at the pull cord is the live wire and switched live, with an earth wire that wasn't actually attached to anything. I've attached a photo of the actual light fitting and current wiring (light fitting will be changed), and the kinetic switch receiver that I have purchased (Ener-J wireless 1 gang).

My question is- can I use the receiver to connect up where the pull cord is, with live in, and switched live out (albeit no neutral wire obviously)? Or, do I need to cut an access hole above the light fitting and connect it essentially behind it in the ceiling void, and then just run a new live and neutral from the receiver to my light fitting? If I do the latter, presumably I then just permanently connect up the live and switched live wires and I understand that this connection needs to be accessible so I can get a blanking plate of some description?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• EE56F86D-B08B-4998-97EE-BA69C59EC868.jpeg
    EE56F86D-B08B-4998-97EE-BA69C59EC868.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 164
  • B27E128C-B7F5-43BE-BF34-1E3A72629FDE.jpeg
    B27E128C-B7F5-43BE-BF34-1E3A72629FDE.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You’ll note the words written on the receiver!
And what I am about to say is on basis of sight. You should check with a voltage tester that it is right!

The bunch or reds are the live in. They all need to connect to the live in terminal on the receiver (good luck with that!)

The single black is probably the switched live out to the light.
*put a red sleeve on this one do it doesn’t get mixed up with the other blacks.

The other blacks are the neutral connections. You can share them between the two neutral terminals on the receiver.

My question is- can I use the receiver to connect up where the pull cord is, with live in, and switched live out (albeit no neutral wire obviously)? Or, do I need to cut an access hole above the light fitting and connect it essentially behind it in the ceiling void, and then just run a new live and neutral from the receiver to my light fitting? If I do the latter, presumably I then just permanently connect up the live and switched live wires and I understand that this connection needs to be accessible so I can get a blanking plate of some description?

From the photos, the cables appear to be solid core/single strand and that someone has gone to extremes in twisting the ones intended for each terminal into a very tight bunch. Twisting them is not advised.

Much better if you can, to straighten them out and push them into the terminals individually, before tightening the screw, then as a final check just give each wire a gentle tug to make sure it is clamped.

I don't wish to contradict T2C but....
You don't need the switch cable.
Find the red that goes with the single black and ditch that cable.
The other two reds go into live in, the blacks to neutral in. Of course, there might not be enough room in the terminals for two wires.

Sponsored Links
The other two reds go into live in, the blacks to neutral in. Of course, there might not be enough room in the terminals for two wires.
Yes. You right. Thought I was looking at the switch. :rolleyes:

It’s the heat you know..,

Ok thanks all for the advice. So the receiver definitely needs to fit behind the light fitting rather than pull cord....

Down the my lack of electrical knowledge but when you say find the red that goes with the single black and ditch the cable- what does this mean in simpletons terms? :)

Ok thanks all for the advice. So the receiver definitely needs to fit behind the light fitting rather than pull cord....

Down the my lack of electrical knowledge but when you say find the red that goes with the single black and ditch the cable- what does this mean in simpletons terms? :)
That is the cable that goes to the switch. You don't need it anymore, as you are replacing it with the kinetic switch.

That is the cable that goes to the switch. You don't need it anymore, as you are replacing it with the kinetic switch.
So will the red and black wires at the pull cord end both directly lead to the light fitting? I know the switched one will obviously but didn’t know about the red one. I.e I just pull those out, or just leave them in situ just in case someone wants to reinstate the switch?

So will the red and black wires at the pull cord end both directly lead to the light fitting? I know the switched one will obviously but didn’t know about the red one. I.e I just pull those out, or just leave them in situ just in case someone wants to reinstate the switch?
Yes the cable goes direct from switch to light. Certainly leave them in place. Especially until you have your new solution working!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back