Getting rid of bathroom pull cord?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have tried searching for an answer, found similar discussions, but not exactly my problem.
Long story short, I would like to not use the pull cord in my bathroom for switching on the lights and fan anymore, (it's old and I just don't like it, ,also doing a bit of redecorating) but to add a switch on the wall, or even 2 perhaps, at different levels so that my little ones can turn the lights on/off.
So I have seen there are these kinetic switches, several brands also, probably the Quinetic one is easiest and quickest for me to purchase in store. This would help me to avoid drilling and running new wires through the wall.
Ok, the only problem is I'm not exactly sure if this would work with my current wiring, pics attached.

So the pull cord activates both the lights and the extractor fan, once the lights are off, the fan still runs for a minute or so, so probably on a timer.
Those are the only wires I can see on the pull cord, so just wanted to check if it's a simple swap for one of those receivers and then mount the kinetic switch anywhere on the wall, or is the installation of the receiver not quite straightforward, as some say neutral required, some say neutral not required.
I have replaced other light switches inside my house, but they were just a straight swap.
So black wire is connected to L1 and red wire to COM L, earth is earth.

Would anything be suitable from that catalogue?
Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20220809_102504273.jpg
    PXL_20220809_102504273.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20220809_102521249.jpg
    PXL_20220809_102521249.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20220809_124515098.jpg
    PXL_20220809_124515098.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220809_124506651.jpg
    PXL_20220809_124506651.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
Just guessing as I have never seen one but would think you would need a live & neutral supply to the switch part which you do not have at the current switch (just a switched live). You may be able to bring one from the light or the fan.

Those receivers require L,N,SL and are intended to be installed at the light, where all of the required connections will be.

Hmm, means I'm stuck with this pull cord?

Can't even use the switch with integrated receiver that says neutral not required, as in having that switch mounted on the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
switch with integrated receiver that says neutral not required,

That might work, or perhaps not.
Devices like that which don't require a neutral obtain their power by allowing a small current to flow when the switch is off.
That is fine with an old incandescent lamp, but anything used today such as LEDs are very likely to flicker, flash or work in other undesirable ways. As you have a fan involved there, it's anyone's guess as to what will happen with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back