wiring a kitchen extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, In order that you fully understand my problem I need to explain what has led me to the project that I am going to undertake. Two or three months ago I
carried out some work in my kitchen which entailed fitting a new slimmer type cooker switch, and because the old switch was the old square type cooker box, which was much bigger than the new slimmer type, I had to do some cementing and plastering and re-tiling. I also fitted a new spur switch with fuse and neon along side of my cooker box switch, which is used to control my outside security light. Finally I fitted a new brass air vent which matched up nicely with the new brass switches which are all in close proximity to each other. Another one of the walls in my kitchen, which is an outside wall, which is not a cavity wall, has always attracted a considerable amount of damp. around three weeks ago I decided to call in a damp expert to see what could be done. To my surprise he told me that it was not damp but condensation that was causing the problem and that I would be advised to fit an extractor fan. This is where my problem lies. Fitting a new extractor fan will mean that all the work that I carried out a few months ago, ie, fitting new switches and air vent may have to be removed.
I am trying to minimise this as much as possible. The brass air vent that I fitted will have to go the make way for the fan. that is not too much of a problem.although further plastering will be required. I now have to fit another switch to operate the fan. if I do fit another switch it will mean channeling the wall for the new wiring, which in turn will mean re-tiling. What I would like to ask the forum is there any way that I could fit a double switch in place of the switch that operates my security light and use one side for the security light and the other for the fan. The only trouble is that the fan requires a three pole switch. I am not sure whether you can get a double switch with different poles in it. Can anyone advise. I apologise for the longer than normal letter but as you see the information was needed to fully understand the problem. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
What circuit is feeding the security light?

Is the security light switch an actual light switch, or a switched fused spur?

Is there neutral at this switch?

Can you use the existing security light switch for the fan, and fit a new switch for the security light somewhere else?

Is there a more convenient place the fan can go?

Can you fit the new fan/new switch on the ceiling instead to save messing up the walls?

Is the existing wiring in conduit/capping to allow you to draw new cables in?

Can you send pictures?

Sponsored Links
And a further question:

Why do you think you need a 3-pole switch for the fan? They are normally used as isolators for timer fans. Even if you want a timer fan which will run on for a few minutes after you turn off the control switch, that control switch doesn't need to be 3-pole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back