wiring a lightswitch 3 red wires...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to change the switches from white to silver but when i took it off it had 3 red wires so not sure what to do next asked my dad but he wasn't sure either do i just put them in the same way...hope this is not a daft question:confused:

Sponsored Links
thanks so much for quick reply i will be having another look at it in about an hour if i have a problem i will post pic...plus i think the extractor fan is connected too it goes on when the light does if that makes any difference.. thanks again (y)

If the silver is a metal plate then it MUST be earthed correctly with the earth wires being connected to the earth terminal on the switch

Sponsored Links
it looks pretty much the same with 2 wires in the COM hole and one in the no1 hole but it is opposite side up the COM hole is situtated on the bottom where it is on the top on new switch.. it has a yellow and green take that is earth...i just want to check as i dont want to blow the electrics .. am i right in thinking this is right many thanks in advance for reply..

Attachments

• 20170804_160629.jpg
    20170804_160629.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 6,483
  • 20170804_160657.jpg
    20170804_160657.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 2,645
Just connect them the same.
The two in Com, the one in L1.
If it should work upside down put the one in L2 instead.

As said you must connect the Earth Green and Yellow to the Earth terminal on the switch.
For extra safe put another piece of earth wire from the terminal on switch to the terminal on the back box but this is not essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back